"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Easy Peach Cobbler

Ok......I did it. I just made a really good peach cobbler. Now keep in mind I'm not a baker and most attempts end in a flop so I'm thrilled I found a recipe that I can make.

I did a search and got a general idea of what to do but I added a few more spices to mine.

Peach Cobbler

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In a bowl mix together the following ingredients together and then pour the batter into a 8 x 8 glass baking dish thats been sprayed with non-stick cooking spary:
1 cup Bisquick Mix
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup margarine, melted
_____________________
In a seperate bowl mix together 15 fresh peaches that have been skinned and sliced and 1 cup sugar or one large can of peaches that have been drained well. Pour the peach mixture over the Bisquick mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Serve warm over ice cream.

__________________

__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
SierraCook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Valley, Northern California, USA
Posts: 5,580
Thanks for sharing Sizz!! I will have to give this recipe a try.
__________________

__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
It looks like the same recipe I use except mine says to melt the butter and leave in the pan before adding the other ingredients. I don't know why. It is very good though.
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I just made the same thing yesterday, though my recipe is a bit different. I tried this time going very light on spices (just a touch of cinnamon) and added crushed pistacchi. That was really delicious!!

Also, if you don't have any personal problems with butter, try with it next time instead of margarine... it makes a world of difference
__________________
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I just made the same thing yesterday, though my recipe is a bit different. I tried this time going very light on spices (just a touch of cinnamon) and added crushed pistacchi. That was really delicious!!

Also, if you don't have any personal problems with butter, try with it next time instead of margarine... it makes a world of difference
What is pistacchi? I was debating between the butter and margarine and the good girl in me won out . Hopefully next time the bad girl will rear her ugly head .

Your welcome Sierra!
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
What is pistacchi? I was debating between the butter and margarine and the good girl in me won out . Hopefully next time the bad girl will rear her ugly head .

Your welcome Sierra!
Oops, I forgot in English they are called in singular form, "pistacchiO", even when they are talking about a bunch of nuts. I have seen in the US they are often died in magenta red colour and sold still with the shells on for snacking, but the original nuts have a green shade and look like this...


Also, don't beat down on butter so much, actually the fat content of solid margarine is just the same as butter, plus hydrogenated vegetable fat is absolutely no healthier than milk fat that butter contains. Either butter or margarine are, when you are concerned about your health, to be consumed in moderation, well, if they are equally guilty, why not go for the flavour when you need to make a choice?
__________________
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Oops, I forgot in English they are called in singular form, "pistacchiO", even when they are talking about a bunch of nuts. I have seen in the US they are often died in magenta red colour and sold still with the shells on for snacking, but the original nuts have a green shade and look like this...


Also, don't beat down on butter so much, actually the fat content of solid margarine is just the same as butter, plus hydrogenated vegetable fat is absolutely no healthier than milk fat that butter contains. Either butter or margarine are, when you are concerned about your health, to be consumed in moderation, well, if they are equally guilty, why not go for the flavour when you need to make a choice?
I had my first pistacchio last year when I was at Whole Foods Store with my brothers, sampling things I'd never had before. I really liked them. Do you have to do anything to them in preparation for a dish? Do you toast them or anything?
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I buy them already shelled, I just put it in a mixer and give it a spin to crush them but not so far as to make them into powders.
I don't usually toast them, as they already have pretty intense flavour as they are, but when we make pistacchio ice cream (which is very popular here in Italy, really really delicious!!), we soak them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, then take off the outer brown skin. This is a bit tedious and not exactly necessary, but it gives the ice cream a beautiful green colour.
__________________
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
I'll have to pick some up at the store and try them out on the family raw and in some dishes. Thanks for the reminder.
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
 
Lovestobake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 38
Thumbs up Peach Cobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Ok......I did it. I just made a really good peach cobbler. Now keep in mind I'm not a baker and most attempts end in a flop so I'm thrilled I found a recipe that I can make.

I did a search and got a general idea of what to do but I added a few more spices to mine.

Peach Cobbler

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In a bowl mix together the following ingredients together and then pour the batter into a 8 x 8 glass baking dish thats been sprayed with non-stick cooking spary:
1 cup Bisquick Mix
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup margarine, melted
_____________________
In a seperate bowl mix together 15 fresh peaches that have been skinned and sliced and 1 cup sugar or one large can of peaches that have been drained well. Pour the peach mixture over the Bisquick mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Serve warm over ice cream.
I cut the butter down to around 4 to 6 Tbsp. and that's plenty for me. Then melt that in the bottom of a 2 qt. baking dish, then the batter over that, not stirring, peaches spooned carefully on top the batter, and any juice carefully poured over it all. You don't want to stir it then, but pop in in the oven, and wait with the ice cream to add to the top of it while it's still warm. I love good peaches....not the hard ones, but just good peaches with plenty of flavor. Love going to an orchard and picking really ripe ones, so that when a person eats them they are so juicy, and good the juice will run down your arm if you let it. YUM!!! Delish!! You can use the same recipe for other fruits as well.
__________________

__________________
Lovestobake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.