"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

Easy Pucker Dessert

This recipe is the result of too little ingredients for the available pan size. I wanted to make a simple desert for company who was coming to a meal the other night. One fo my wife's favorites is called a "dump cake" because you dump the ingredients in a pan, bake it, and serve.

Here's my modified recipe and technique.

Lemon/Cherry Pucker
Ingredients:
1 boxed lemon cake mix
16 tbs. butter, melted (two sticks)
1 bag full-sized marshmallows
14 oz, cherry pie filling

Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Grease the edge of a sharp knife with soft butter and cut enough marshmallows in half to cover the bottom of a 11 X 15 greased cake pan, flat side down. Evenly distribute the cherry filling over the marshmallows, followed by the dry cake mix. When the mix evenly covers the pie filling, drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove and let cool for at least 20 minutes. Can be served ot, warm, or cold. It's best with something like milk, or ice cream to cut the rich flavor of the desert.

The marshmallows were added to the original recipe to create a loftier (thicker) desert as the single cake mix, and single can of pie filling were insufficient to fill the pan size I was using. The texture of this desert will fool many who eat it, as it feels like warm marshmallow, but tastes strongly of lemon, with no visible marshmallow in sight. The tart cherries don't take center stage in this one. The lemon is the predominant flavor, with the cherry helping to mellow it. In any case, this is yummy. Enjoy.

Hint: I found that when I cleaned the knife edge between marshmallows, and re-greased that edge each time, the cutting shore went much faster.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Master Chef

Holly Cow two sticks of butter?! Sounds pretty awesome though, I love simple recipes like this for last minute desserts.
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
WOW! That sounds good - I have all the ingredients, I may have to try this!!! What modification would I need for a 9 x 13 pan? Thanks for posting!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
WOW! That sounds good - I have all the ingredients, I may have to try this!!! What modification would I need for a 9 x 13 pan? Thanks for posting!
You wouldn't have to use as many marshmallows. Also, I'd decrease the butter to 1 stick. You could also sprinkle broken epcan or walnut pieces on top.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I made this yesterday in a 9x13 pan with blueberry pie filling instead of cherry (I would have loved the cherry but mom doesn't like cherry) - it was FANTASTIC! Since I used the smaller pan I cooked it five minutes less, next time will be 10 minutes less - thanks so much Goodweed - its a keeper!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

I bet you could sub mini marshmallows and save the cutting. It does sound delish. Will have to try it. Don't have a lemon cake mix right now.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Head Chef

I wonder what would happen,

if you mixed the melted butter with cream cheese and poured that over the top, sprinkle with nuts of some type...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
2 sticks of butter!!! Paula would be so proud of YOU!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Goodweed, I am a die hard dump cake fan. When I was young my grandmother taught it to me and it was my first "signature" dish LOL. I don't know if I can change it, but I might try this some time.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Master Chef

Jabur, you're probably right. Using mini-marshmallows would have been easier, but I didn't have any on hand when I made it. I think that you have made this recipe so much easier. Thanks.

MichelleMarie; I'm so glad you liked the recipe. That make me feel great.

Now, I'm off to make Audio's (remember Audio?) banana bread. I have some "too-ripe" bananas that need to be used up today, and they're gonna be just right for banana bread.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Tags
None