"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Sorry, I forgot Kroger is a regional thing. Where do you guys shop down there? The only store I can remember is The Beer Store in the Outer Banks!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Let's see, we have Bi-Lo, Winn Dixie, Ingles(that's where I go most of the time because there is one about 3 or 4 miles from my sons school), & Publix.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Forgot you were in SOUTH Carolina, not North. :oops: You guys are closer to fresh fruit down there aren't you?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
Master Chef

Some I guess. We get most of our peaches from Georgia & North Carolina. Allthough we have peaches here too. We have good apples down here. It's bad,I have lived here all my life & still don't really know what fruits our state produces. :oops: I normally stick to the wild blackberries, blueberries, & strawberries that grow in the woods & in the cow pastures aroung my parents & g-mas houses. I picked about 10 gallons of blackberries this past summer. Most of them were the size of my thumb(my g-ma calls those dewberries). I had to get my uncle to move the cows to the other pasture to get to the really good ones. I made jam, cobbler, pies, & pancakes from some of them & froze the rest for another time.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Ah! When I go to Nag's Head next year I'll have to stop somewhere and do some foraging!!! :D
Old 12-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #16
Master Chef

Yes you will! :D Just watch out for posion ivy & snakes! Snakes love to curl up under blackberry bushes because mice like to eat blackberries. Luckly the only snake I have ever encountered while picking berries is an 8 ft black snake that has been living at my g-mas for several years now. He is really a gentle giant.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think black snakes are some of the good guys. They eat mice and rats, for example.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #18
Master Chef

Yes, they are good guys. Not only do they eat mice & rats, they kill the bad snakes. We have plenty of those around here too. Black snakes also can produce a strong musky odor that keeps bad snakes away.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
HEY! Just got the "Dummies" thing! Watcha saying there, Mud???
Nothin against you. I started calling it that when I first learned about it from MIL. Prior to that, I had never made cobbler, so the dummy was me.

Tags
None