Fresh Raspberry Crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I just pulled another crisp out of the oven and thought I would share the recipe I have been developing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1 quart (4 cups) of fresh raspberries, I use a generous portion
3 to 4 T. white sugar*

1/4 C. butter
1/3 C. ww flour
1/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. oats

optional:
1/4 C. pecan meal
1/4 C. ground flax seed

The recipe calls for a 9 inch square baking dish,but the one I use looks like a 10 inch.

Lightly grease dish, place fruit in baking dish, sprinkle on white sugar.
*If I am going to eat this plain, I use 3 T. sugar, but if I am going to drown it in my tart yogurt, it needs the 4 T. sugar.

Cut butter into flour, brown sugar and oats. Add optionals if desired. Sprinkle topping on fruit.

bake at 350 for 30 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve hot or cold.

The flax seed adds both fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It's a good way to boost the nutritional value of the desert. And I would replace the sugar with Splenda and add a bit of tapioca starch to bind the berries a little.

But the original looks like a great recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey, Goodweed, good idea about the tapioca, this recipe could benefit by it, if you are not inclined to lick the bowl :LOL: .

I purchased a case of flax seed, 12 one pound bags, a while back in hopes that this natural plant estrogen could help relieve hot flashes. So I still have a few bags in the freezer, that is really why I have been adding it to the crisp topping. I have completely switched over to fair trade coffee beans, and when I grind a kilo bag of coffee beans, I also grind a bag of flax seed. I am really just trying to use up some odd ingredients I have lurking in my freezer.

This recipe works very well without the optional ingredients added.

Back
Top Bottom