"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Fruit crisp liquid bubbling up over topping - why?

I made petite blueberry crisps the other night in 6 oz ramekins. Other than their size, they were pretty much standard fruit crisps topped with an oat/flour/sugar/butter/spice topping. By the time I took them out of the oven, the juices from the blueberries had bubbled up and over the top of the crisp topping so that there were only a couple of tiny islands of oats in a sea of purple syrupy juice. They tasted great and we at them anyway, but I missed the crunchy texture the oat topping usually provides. Anyone know why this happens and how to avoid it? Thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I had the very same problem last month! LOL! And I fixed this dish 3 times in one week (it was during a rash of pot lucks.)

I'm not saying this is a fix, but the third time (I'm a slow learner) - I simply limited the amount of liquid, putting in enough to barely cover a single layer of blueberries, and then using lots of oatmeal crust. It worked, but I've also made a mental note to get a new set of deeper ramekins.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Everymom

When you make crisp it is important to mix some of the topping mixture in with the fruit to soak up the juice. Then put a larger bunch on top of the fruit mixture. Some juice should bubble up, thats a good thing.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
When you make crisp it is important to mix some of the topping mixture in with the fruit to soak up the juice. Then put a larger bunch on top of the fruit mixture. Some juice should bubble up, thats a good thing.
Yep, that's how I was taught to do it when I make this fabulous apple crisp!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yep, that's how I was taught to do it when I make this fabulous apple crisp!
That recipe is foolproof isn't it KE?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
That sounds good to me! I'll try that this weekend when I make some apple crisp.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Interesting! I've not heard of that technique before. Thank you! So in a normal, say 8"x8" crisp, how much would you mix in? A few tablespoons?

I like when it bubbles up the sides some, but this was like a total uprising and revolt, lol. There were a few little pea-sized islands, but that's it. I will definitely try this next time! Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Everymom

In an 8x8 you would mix in something like 2/3 cup of the topping mix and the rest goes on top. When I make it there is usually something like 3-4 cups of topping. I do a bunch in the fruit, and the rest on top to crisp up. Sorry I can't be more exact.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Ok, sounds good. Thanks.

Tags
None