"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Gooseberry Fool

I think some of my gooseberries will be ripe enough to pick this weekend, and this is one of my favourite simple puddings.

(Fruit fools are a popular UK summer pudding - you can use any fruit, I also like rhubarb or plums) I use elderflower cordial in my 'posh version' and if I don't have any, I leave it out!
1lb gooseberries
5fl oz elderflower cordial

Custard
2 egg yolks
1 tsp arrowroot
5fl oz milk
1 oz sugar
5fl oz double cream

fresh elderflowers, to decorate (if navailable)

Top and tail the gooseberries. Put into a pan with the elderflower cordial. Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently until soft and pulpy. Leave to go cold, and then place in a pretty glass serving dish or individual large, stemmed glasses.
Make the custard
Heat the milk up in a pan to JUST boiling. Beat the egg yolks, arrowroot and sugar together in a bowl or jug and pour the hot milk into the egg mix. Mix well and then return to the pan. Heat gently until the custard thickens, but do not boil. Strain into a clean bowl and cool.

Whip the cream to the same consistency of the gooseberries.Gently stir the cream into the gooseberries and then fold in the custard. Try to give it a marbled effect in the serving bowl. If you have them, add a few elderflowers on top for decoration.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Lovely recipe Ishbel, thanks for posting it. Will your berries be the green or the reddish-plum hued ones?

I often like to add a small handful of crumbled meringue cookies to my finished "fools" - which is a bit reminiscent of the famed British dish Eton Mess.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

The dessert goosegogs (reddish ones) are not quite ripe enough to eat yet, this dish is best using the cooking varieties - ie the green 'bullets' as my husband calls them!

The meringues sound good, but I'd have to pass - but am sure my guest will love the idea, so i'll add some of half the puddings (I serve them in large, plain, dartington crystal glasses!)
Old 08-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Ishbe,

I like all sort of fools and puddings served in big, wide martini glasses, sometimes I'll roll the rims in sugar for a little more pizzazz

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

These are the Dartington glasses I use for many puddings!

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co....ass-sharon.asp

Tags
None