How to make just crumb topping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I'm making a pumpkin pie pudding and want to top it with a crumb topping. Does anyone have advice on how to make just the crumb topping when I'm not going to be baking it on top of a dessert?

Can I just mix it together and bake on a sheet tray?

Mix it together, spread it out on a sheet tray and bake it. That is what I do. You can use cookie dough crumble up for this too.

Do you want a recipe? I have oatcrumble, toffee crumble and almond crumble.

I use ginger snap cookies for a topping for my pumpkin cheesecake. That way I have the cookies for the crust instead of graham crackers, and a matching topping for the taste. :angel:

Gingersnaps, mushed up, are what I use for pumpkin pie crust, like it much better than regular or graham cracker crust. I agree with Addie, they would probably be great as a topping too. Maybe mix with some melted butter and sprinkle over top. Not sure I'd mix the crumbs in.

Last edited:
!/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup rolled outs
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 stick butter.

Combine dry ingredients. Melt the butter and combine with the crumb mixture. Spread onto a cookie sheet and back at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a meat mallet to break the crumb into your desired texture, or use food processor to pulse the crumb topping.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Gingersnaps, mushed up, are what I use for pumpkin pie crust, like it much better than regular or graham cracker crust. I agree with Addie, they would probably be great as a topping too. Maybe mix with some melted butter and sprinkle over top. Not sure I'd mix the crumbs in.

Treat the cookie crumbs the same as you would the graham crackers. Mix with melted butter.

Alternate, using DAwg's and Addie's crumb mistures:

Mix graham cracker crumbs with butter and sugar. Spread in the bottom of a rectangular. Replace the egg in your pumpkin filling with gelatin (1 packet of Knox unflavored gelatin per 1 cup of filling, by first heating the dairy and dissolving the gelatin into it before adding to the pumpkin. Pour the filling over the bottom crust. Sprinkle more of the crumb on top and refrigerate. You could even make layers, allowing each to set before adding the 2nd and third layers.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've always made my crumble topping with 2 parts flour, 1 part butter, 1/2 part brown sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg. You have many different types of crumble over there. Mine is cooked at about 65 - 70°C. I use it for apple crumbleand other fruit crumbles. For me, it's always come out ok. Fruit crumble and custard is an old favourite in the UK, a real family dessert, and still very popular.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom