ISO Creme Brulee recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Mel, Cherry, it's funny to read about your apprehension because I felt the same way about trying my hand at souffles.

Every instruction I read or show I watched stressed the importance of folding, beating the whites, buttering, sugaring blah blah.

I was so overwhelmed and expected a disaster the first time I tried my hand at it. I made a raspberry souffle following Tyler's recipe. It came out fab. My friend and I thought it was better than a restaurant.

I personally think creme brulee is much easier (fewer steps) than a souffle. The hardest part is seperating the yolks from the white ;) . If you can do that successfully you can make a cremebrulee.

For ramekins I would recommend crate and barrel. Overpriced - yes but they most definitely have the greatest variety. I would also look at stores like Linen and Things and Bed Bath and Beyond.

Enjoy!!!

A store!!! Now I understand.

Yeah, souffles also seem scarey, to me still. I am going to be adventurous. I will try souffles and creme brulee.

Thanks Jeekinz and Yakuta!!!!

im going to try this at the weekend but have a few questions,
1 can i use vanilla esscense instead of a pod if so how much to add to recipy in post #2
2,what is a rolling boil
3,does heavy cream mean double (or thick)
4,which is best cold water bath or hot
5,when you pour the cream in the egg and sugar mix do you whisk at the same time
oh and 300*f whats that in *c

Jeeks,

Look Here for lots of them I made this one The chocolat just set it off. It was easy to make.

Use ordinary white sugar. I experimented with several sugars. White sugar is best. Don't use anything but a plumbing propane torch. Easy quick. The kitchen ones sometimes do not make enough heat.

AC

Wait a minute Chocolate Cream Brule

So did any of you would be crembruleers actually make the stuff? Im curious it has been on my to do list forever

the catch is I am afraid if I can make it I will eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner and gain about 100lbs

ramekins always seem tragically small :)

im going to try this at the weekend but have a few questions,
1 can i use vanilla esscense instead of a pod if so how much to add to recipy in post #2
2,what is a rolling boil
3,does heavy cream mean double (or thick)
4,which is best cold water bath or hot
5,when you pour the cream in the egg and sugar mix do you whisk at the same time
oh and 300*f whats that in *c

#1 The original recipe called for 2 tsp of vanilla extract. Odds are, this is the same thing as vanilla essence.
#2 "Rolling boil" means water this is rapidly agitated by many large bubbles that break the surface. Sometimes referred to as a "hard boil". This is water that has fully reached the boiling point, and cannot get any hotter until all the water in that volume has changed over into steam.
#3 If you're in the UK, then yes.
#4 That will be up to you. Personally, I don't like trying to pour boiling hot water out of a saucepan and into a pan for a waterbath. A teapot might work better. Personally, I just fill a 1 qt measuring cup with the hottest water out of the tap, and pour that into my water bath.
#5 Yes.
Oh, and 300 degrees F = 148.88888 degrees C. Call it 150 and you're good.

Hope this helped.

thanks allenok much appreciated,im in the uk yes,and the info you gave me is great and ive tried making them and they were gorgious,only dissapointment is not having the blow torch so used hot grill but not the same so a blow torch is on my "to buy soon" list as my next adventure is baked alaska,now i cant wait for that,thanks again

my first post looking and this recipe sounds mmmm just bought my ramekins :)
ooo i think i asked for a recipe of the alaska thing before but no one knew at the time i don't think :) i want to make that as well!

Back
Top Bottom