ISO Creme Brulee recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I promised my DW I would make it this weekend for us. I have the ramakins, pan for the water bath and the torch. Just looking for some tips/recipies to dwell on:chef:

Oh yea, I never made it before:rolleyes:

Here is an easy recipe that comes out well everytime I make it.

2 cups of heavy cream
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp of sugar on each ramekin for scorching
fresh raspberries for garnish

Bring the cream to a rolling boil. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar and vanilla (I like to do this in my stand mixer but you can do this with a hand whisk if you'd like). I like to do this for 2 minutes until the yolks are nice and smooth. Next pour in the heavy cream slowly (so as not to curdle the mixture).

I like to seive this mixture through a strainer to ensure I catch any egg yolk unsavory bits. Now pour into ramekins and bake in a water bath and bake at 300 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.

When you remove the mixture it should be a bit wiggly and thats fine.

Refrigerate for several hours until completely cool

To serve, remove from the fridge, sprinkle sugar to ensure it's evenly spread on the surface. Use a blow torch to scorch it. Garnish with raspberries and serve.

You can make chocolate, coffee, orange, lemon etc. etc. versions but my favorite is still the classic creme brulee.

Should the yolks turn pale in color? Does the mixture have to rest at all prior to baking?

Yes beat the egg yolks until a bit lighter (about 5 minutes on high). It will be a bit lighter but not a lot. The more you beat the lighter the eggs get and while that might work well for a souffle it does not work well for a creme brulee. You want them to stay creamy not airy.

It will however get lighter when you add the cream to the beaten yolks.

Also you don't need to let it sit prior to baking.

I normally preheat my oven and then boil some water and then place the ramekins in a deep baking dish and carefully pour the hot water in the pan and in the oven it goes right away.

Don't mix your sugar and egg yolks too long before your temper them with cream, or there's a chance they could turn green.

1 more tip: after you add your ramekins to your water bath, you may notice some tiny air bubbles on the surface of your creme brulee. Take your blowtorch lightly over the tops of your brulees, just long enough to burst the tiny bubbles on the surface; you don't want to cook the tops of them. The reason for doing this is because the air bubbles will trap heat near the surface and you'll end up with a weird crust on the tops of your brulees. It isn't very tasty and it definitely impedes your ability to put a proper sugar crust on it after they are done baking.

1 more thing now that I think of it- and this varies dependingon your recipe- if your water bath pan is deeper than your brulees are tall, consider placing a sheet pan over 80% or so of the top of your water bath pan. Sometimes creme brulees will souffle' a little bit, and this helps to prevent that, though I'm not sure why. I think this is more of a risk if your recipe contains egg whites, however.

I also use cold water for my water bath, to ensure even heating. I don't imagine it would be a problem to start with boiling water, so long as you adjust your cooking time. If they bake for too long you'll end up with vanilla scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
one more hint - use turbinado sugar rather than white granulated for torching the tops. Much, much better!! You can find it at any supermarket.

So I was craving something sweet last night, I run down to the corner store to grab a couple pints of ice cream. Haagen Daaz makes a Creme Brulee! Tastes just like it.

Hello:)

Is it as complicated, to make Creme Brulee, as it seems to me?
I want to try it, but I have not got brave enough yet. I will keep the recipe, in the second post(I forget who posted), for when I am up for a challange.
How many tries did everybody have, with making it, before they got it right?

Mel

I'm with you, Mel. I really want to try this recipe but at the moment I'm too afraid it'll turn out awful. Maybe I'll get up some bravery this weekend and go for it. Will let you know if I do!

Mel & Cherry...toughen up you two! What will happen? You ruin a few eggs? It's not like you're trying a new Kobe Beef recipie.

This will be my first time making it, too. If I screw up....hey, I'll be back here Monday asking someone wtf happened.;)

Mel and Red:

Don't be overwhelmed by the recipe.

Read the first step and ask yourself, "Can I do that?" Boil cream - yeah, that's easy.

Beat eggs and sugar together - easy

Look at it one step at a time. I'd bet you already have done just about all the steps in thie recipe. Now all you have to do is put them together.

As Jeekins said, what's it gonna cost you? Some wasted ingredients and a little time.

Yeah, that is a good idea.:)
We should toughen up. It will be worth it.
I used to have the same fear, about bread making, and now my bread is great. By my own judgement anyway.

Mel

I dont have ramikins, either.
Yeah, I will have to get some.:)

Pier one, of which harbour?
Surely, they can be bought, at the supermarket?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom