ISO - Drier Bread Pudding (Not Moist!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
Traditionally I have not been a big fan of bread pudding. But then last year I was at a convention in Tampa for work and for lunch they served bread pudding for dessert. It looked much different than any I had ever seen. The cut pieces looked almost like cake. It looked so good that I had to try it, and it was awesome! Does anyone have a T-n-T recipe for this kind of bread pudding?

Somewhere around here I have my grandmother's recipe for Bread Pudding.
In the meantime I found the following recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

It seems similar, but I do recall some differences.
My grandmother used stale bread and leftover homemade biscuits instead of a loaf of french bread. You can either decrease the liquid or add more bread to get the consistency you want. Hers was like a dense cake. It might take a few turns to get it just right.
Now the hard sauce in the recipe at Tasty Kitchen is absolutely nothing like my grandmother's.
First, you best not bring liquor into my grandmother's house.
The result was temporary banishment to the yard.
Her hard sauce was like this:
1 can of evaporated milk
Enough sugar till you think it's sweet enough
A generous application of nutmeg.
Heat the milk and sugar till dissolved, then add the nutmeg and stir well. Serve while the sauce is still warm, although I recall that the sauce was still mighty good when it cooled.
I will look around here and see if I can find her recipe.
She passed away a number of years ago.
She kept them in several places (between the pages of books and such)and I run across a batch of them from time to time.
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/southern-bread-pudding-with-hard-sauce/

Somewhere around here I have my grandmother's recipe for Bread Pudding.
In the meantime I found the following recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

It seems similar, but I do recall some differences.
My grandmother used stale bread and leftover homemade biscuits instead of a loaf of french bread. You can either decrease the liquid or add more bread to get the consistency you want. Hers was like a dense cake. It might take a few turns to get it just right.
Now the hard sauce in the recipe at Tasty Kitchen is absolutely nothing like my grandmother's.
First, you best not bring liquor into my grandmother's house.
The result was temporary banishment to the yard.
Her hard sauce was like this:
1 can of evaporated milk
Enough sugar till you think it's sweet enough
A generous application of nutmeg.
Heat the milk and sugar till dissolved, then add the nutmeg and stir well. Serve while the sauce is still warm, although I recall that the sauce was still mighty good when it cooled.
I will look around here and see if I can find her recipe.
She passed away a number of years ago.
She kept them in several places (between the pages of books and such)and I run across a batch of them from time to time.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Leftover biscuits? What's that?

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Leftover biscuits? What's that?

I know... :LOL:
But back in the day, biscuits where made at every meal, even breakfast. Sometimes there were leftover or at worst, day old. My grandmother didn't hold with throwing food away that could be used to make something else. I am much the same myself.
Thanks for the condolences but she passed away in '89 at 98 years of age. She had a good long life and died peacefully. I hope the same for myself.

Hoot, have you ever been to AW Shucks in Norfolk? They have a bread pudding made with drunken peaches and Krispy Kreme donuts. I will be trying it soon! Also I really want to ask how they get the peaches to drink.:LOL:

I'm not sure if theirs is the moist custard style or the drier style.

Last edited:
No sir, never have had the pleasure. I will keep it mind next time I am up that way. Mrs Hoot has a sister that lives in Norfolk. We will be heading there soon to visit.
I reckon you would have to force feed the peaches to get 'em drunk....'Course I could be wrong!!

Back
Top Bottom