ISO- Sweet Potato Cobbler Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Does anyone have a recipe for a sweet potato cobbler? My mom asked me last night to keep my eyes & ears open for one for her. Any help would be greatly appriciated! :D

Sweet Potato Cobbler

Servings: 12-14

3 cups finely grated sweet potatoes
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Melt margarine or butter in a 9" x 13" baking pan.
Heat sugar and water in small saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
Cut shortening into flour and cinnamon.
Stir with fork until the dough leaves the sides of bowl.
Knead slightly and roll into large rectangle 1/4" thick.
Spread sweet potatoes over dough and roll up from long sides like a jellyroll. Seal seam and ends. Cut with a sharp knife into 1/2" slices and place in pan with melted margarine.
Pour sugar syrup around rolls and bake for about 45 minutes. Serve warm.

Note:
Grated apples (Rome or Yellow Delicious or Granny Smith) may be used instead of sweet potatoes. Substitute apple juice for the water and apple pie spice for the cinnamon in the dough.

Fresh peaches thinly sliced may also be substituted when in season.

For a lower calorie dish, use an equal amount of powdered sugar substitute or 2/3 cup fructose in the syrup.

Good Luck!

Thanks marmaladyI'll send this right over to her! I have that site in my favorites for chicken & dumplin's. I don't know why I didn't think to look there! :oops:

I looked in all my southern cookbooks and came up with zilch. You'd think it would be in at least one of them. crewsk, I didn't check the Picayune Creole one, though.

I looked in all mine last night too mudbug & came up with nothing. I'll have to check out the Picayune Creole one too. Thanks for looking! :D

I go away for a minute, and come back to find I am not needed.

My sweet potato cobbler is so similar to the one in the web site, there is no need to post; except for cream instead of milk, and brown sugar instead of molasses.

Chocolatechef, I LOVE it when somebody says to use cream instead of milk!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom