Peach cobbler questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MimoMommy

Assistant Cook
I would like to make peach cobbler, but the recipe calls for fresh peaches. The only peaches around here at the moment aren't all that ripe and they cost an arm and a leg. Would it be a problem if I used frozen peaches? I would thaw them and drain the juice first. Thanks for your help! :chef:

Frozen peaches would work fine --- Better than canned --- I would not drain the juice -- Use it as part of the total amount of liquid that is called for in the recipe...

Enjoy!

What UB said. Although I've used the canned peaches when necessary. Works OK, the flavour isn't the same though.

Another cobbler question

Thanks so much for your help with the frozen peach dilema! I made the cobbler and the fruit part tasted great... the dough had some issues however. It didn't rise! What did I do wrong? :(

Can you post your recipe? We'll troubleshoot. I'm going to merge this in with the last thread so that everyone can have all the info.

Okay... here is the recipe:
It says to pour the dough batter over the melted butter... when I did this the butter went to the top. Could I have mixed the dough too much?

Ingredients
  • 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
    showlist_icon.gif
  • Ground cinnamon, optional
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

Nope, the butter will sort of ooze around the dough. What else was wrong with the dough? Didn't rise? Did you use self rising flour?I would suggest the baking powder in your flour was old. Try adding a tsp or two of baking powder next time around. That should do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom