Pics and notes on my no-fry “fritters”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’m posting this here because my no-fry “fritters” are more of a cobbler, but with biscuit dough instead of crumbles.

It really is quite good, although, given the amount of sugar, not as sweet as I expected. One could definitely serve it with breakfast, like one could serve pancakes or French toast with strawberry compote and whipped cream with breakfast, but I wouldn’t serve it as the sole dish.

I didn’t have enough cherries, so I used the cherries and some sliced banana. The cinnamon kinda drowned out any fruit flavors. The almonds were difficult to eat for me, and apart from texture, I don’t think they added much; next time I may use Raisin Bran instead of nuts. I also drizzled some chocolate syrup on each of the layers because, well, chocolate! But the chocolate was kinda lost to the cinnamon as well. Also, there are four layers, but I think next time I’ll make three layers and add a lot more fruit: sugared biscuits, fruit, sugared biscuits. And maybe just sugar to coat the biscuit pieces, no cinnamon (unless I make it with apples, as the original recipe calls for). And you can tell from the pics that I need a larger pan!

Here are the pics:

5B3E10EB-0E9F-461D-B860-E627DE9F86C7.jpg

AA628BCB-9268-4F62-98D0-9AC98AFFD4FE.jpg

Still, sweet and gooey isn’t bad at all, right?

Looks pretty tasty, Joel. :yum: Thanks for sharing!

I'd leave out the chocolate drizzle, but that's JMO. :)

Looks pretty tasty, Joel. :yum: Thanks for sharing!

I'd leave out the chocolate drizzle, but that's JMO. :)
Thanks! The chocolate syrup was a last minute thing, and it turned out to be gilding the lilly; the cinnamon pretty much drowned it out. Next time I make it, as I said, instead of coating the dough in sugar and cinnamon, I think I’ll just use sugar, or maybe sugar and cocoa powder.

I also think strawberries would be a better choice than frozen cherries. They’re not cheap, but they are available fresh year round.

It’s a very adaptable recipe!

Back
Top Bottom