Save Me!!! Recipe Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Npage1

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone!,
This is my first posting ever, so I would like to thank you all so very much for having me.
Okay,
I've been driving myself nuts trying to locate a recipe for a dessert I had last Easter, and a few times when I was in boot camp. In fact, I'm craving it so horribly that I'm having dreams about it. Anyways, the issue that I'm having is that I don't know what the dessert is called- thus I am unable to find a recipe.
The best way to describe the dessert I had would be to say that it was kind of like a thin layer of strussel filling topped with crumbs from a coffee cake of some sort. To the best of my memory, the fruity filling layer was rather thin, very sweet, kind of like jelly or strudel(or strussel depending on how its supposed to be spelled), and packed full of flavor. I don't remember it being chunky or having large pieces of fruit in it. The crumbs on the top were a fine layer as well, almost as to give the filling some extra texture if mixed in. There wasn't a crust that I can remember either. The topping reminded me of the top layer of a coffee cake-lots of crumbs, sometimes large crumbs.
I've spent hours and hours looking through recipes, searching for different desserts. I've searched cobblers, crumbles, and crisps, but none of them looked anything like the dessert I'm trying to find. If anyone could lend a hand or point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful!
Thanks again,
Nick

No, it wasnt a bar. If mememory serves me, it was litterally pan>streusel like fruit filling>layer of coffee cake like crumbs. There may have been a very light crust, but I really dont remember there being one. The first time I had it was in the military, and I think it was peach or apple. The one I had during easter was a berry combination or some sort and it was truely amazing. Thank you so much for the help though! :)

Did you last have the dessert with friends, family, or at a restaurant? Can you ask the person who made it? Do you have any contacts with the cooks from your military unit?

I am thinking you had a version of this CRUNCH recipe from the 60's.

CRUNCH

1 cup AP flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 can of pie filling

Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar. Melt butter and add to the dry ingredients.
Use half of the mixture on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole. Add can of pie filling. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

You can add some cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts, etc. It depends on your taste and the type of pie filling.

That sounds great, Aunt Bea! Gonna have to try that!
I been wonderin' about the OP's question quite a bit. I hope he comes back and answers Dawluver's questions.

Back
Top Bottom