Syllabub with cider and Bramley apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Enough for 4 hungry people or 6 less hungry people!

½ x 500ml bottle of medium sweet cider (alcoholic)
150g organic caster sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Juice of ½ lemon
2 large Bramley cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered(Bramleys are the premier British cooking apple, full of flavour!)
25g unsalted butter
50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
284ml pot and 142ml pot double cream (1 larage, 1 medium pot!)

In a large bowl, mix together 150ml of the cider, 50g of the sugar, 2 large pinches of ground cinnamon and the lemon juice. Cover and place in the fridge until needed.

Cut each apple quarter lengthways into 8 slices. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the apple. Scatter with the remaining cinnamon and fry the apples for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden, then remove from the heat (do this in two batches, if necessary). Place to one side.

Place the remaining cider and sugar in a medium heavy-based pan over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Then turn up the heat and boil for 3 minutes, until clear and syrupy. Pour 2 tbsp of the syrup over the apples. Return the pan to the heat and cook until sticky (this should only take about 1 minute). Leave to one side.

To make the cracknel, put a sheet of kitchen tin foil on a baking sheet and scatter with the chopped hazelnuts. Put the remaining syrup back on the heat to boil. As the syrup starts to turn an even, golden, caramel colour, pour it over the nuts and encourage it to flow over the tray in a thin layer. Leave to harden for a few minutes.

Break off medium-sized shards of cracknel for decorating and crack the remainder into smaller pieces.

To make the syllabub, remove the cider mixture from the fridge and gradually whisk in both pots of cream. Continue to whisk, using an electric whisk, until the mixture holds its shape in soft peaks.

Divide the cooked apple between 6 serving glasses, scatter with the smaller pieces of cracknel and top with the syllabub. Chill if not using immediately. When ready to serve, decorate with the remaining shards of cracknel.

Courtesy of a supermarket recipe card!

We don't call anything non-alcoholic 'cider' in the UK, we call it apple juice.

BuckyTom here explained about the US calling alcoholic apple stuff 'hard cider'... and ordinary apple juice 'cider'... Seems complicated to this simple soul :mrgreen:

I would think it would be OK, but I've never just used apple juice when I've cooked the pudding.

Cider in Canada is spiced. Apple juice is not. Having never had "hard apple cider" I wonder if it is spiced as well? Would you need to add some spice to the recipe if you used apple juice?

I don't know, Alix. BuckyTom has been my teacher about the differences in US Cider and Hard Ciders....

Cider here is just that, fermented apple juice - don't think it has any additives at all.

Back
Top Bottom