"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 10-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Traditional BlackBerry Cobbler

Traditional Blackberry Cobbler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 8
Yield: 9 x 13

Ingredients:

3/4 cups Butter, 1 1/2 sticks
1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar, for batter
1/2 cup Granulated sugar, to sprinkle on top
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon Salt
2 1/4 teaspoons Baking powder
1 1/2 cups Milk
6 cups Blackberries, Fresh or Frozen

Directions:

Butter a large oval casserole.

Melt butter. Mix together 1 1/2 cups of sugar, salt, baking powder and flour into a mixing bowl. Whisk in milk to form batter. Then, pour in melted butter and mix well.

If using fresh rinse and pat dry the blackberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. It may be necessary to gently push the blackberries into the batter to get all of them in. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar evenly over the top.

Place on casserole baking sheet to catch any spill overs and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before itís done.

Substitute these amounts for a lower calorie version:
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of sugar
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) of butter

Old 10-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

This recipe works well in a dutch oven / camp fire situation.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef

The only thing that I would change is to use unsalted butter, but that's just my perspective. Except for that, it looks to be a very good recipe... and a hint of campfire smoke soaked into the crust would make it heavenly!

For a little extra crunch, 1/2 cup of oatmeal could be added to the batter.

Tags
cobbler; blackberries, recipe

Traditional BlackBerry Cobbler Traditional Blackberry Cobbler -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Serving Size: 8 Yield: 9 x 13 Ingredients: 3/4 cups Butter, 1 1/2 sticks 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar, for batter 1/2 cup Granulated sugar, to sprinkle on top 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon Salt 2 1/4 teaspoons Baking powder 1 1/2 cups Milk 6 cups Blackberries, Fresh or Frozen Directions: Butter a large oval casserole. Melt butter. Mix together 1 1/2 cups of sugar, salt, baking powder and flour into a mixing bowl. Whisk in milk to form batter. Then, pour in melted butter and mix well. If using fresh rinse and pat dry the blackberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. It may be necessary to gently push the blackberries into the batter to get all of them in. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar evenly over the top. Place on casserole baking sheet to catch any spill overs and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before itís done. Substitute these amounts for a lower calorie version: 1 cup of sugar 1/4 cup of sugar 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) of butter 3 stars 1 reviews