Trifle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
TRIFLE
This is popular at Christmas time and Hogmanay.

Left over plain sponge or madeira cake cut into slices about 1 inch thick.
Ratafia biscuits - 10-15 or so small ones
Sufficient raspberries to cover the bottom layers of sponge and ratafias
0.5 pt of Jelly, raspberry is traditional (I think it's Jello in the States!)
Sherry - 4/5 tbsp

An egg custard made from
3 large eggs
3/4 of a pint of milk (Imperial)
2 oz Caster sugar

0.5 pint double cream, whipped into soft peaks
1 oz toasted almonds, to decorate

Cut the sponge cake to fit and arrange in the bottom of a glass serving dish.

Cover with ratafias and sprinkle with sherry

Make up the jelly/jello according to instructions on the packet. Allow to cool.

Add a layer of fresh raspberries to the bottom layer of sponge and ratafias.

Gently pour the jelly liquid onto the fruit/sponge layers and leave aside until it sets.

Meanwhile, heat the milk until almost boiling. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale, then pour on the hot milk, stirring continuously.

Return to the saucepan and heat gently, stirring continuously, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow to boil. Set aside to cool.

Pour the custard over the trifle and leave until cold. Finish with a layer of the cream on top of the custard, or use a piping bag to make pretty patterns!

Sprinkle with the toasted almonds just before you serve the dish.

The Italians call this dish Zuppe Inglese! English soup - don't quite know why as it is a 'set' pudding, not liquid!

A quicker method is to use a sponge cake as a base, dampen with sherry, add fresh or frozen fruit (I've even been served trifle made with tinned fruit cocktail and also banana). Make a layer of jelly and pour over the fruit/sponge mix. Make up a quantity of Bird's custard (English staple store cupboard item) - make it thicker than the recipe on the side of the box. Cool slightly, and then pour over the set jelly. Whip some double cream and then serve....!

Paula Deen was cooking this on on her Thanksgiving show. It looked really good :D

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 servings

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Happy Holidays!

Audeo said:
Ah, Ishbel! This makes me think of a favored delight, Tipsy Laird!!! ;)

Traditionally, Tipsy Laird doesn't have a jelly layer, it has raspberry jam, instead!

Tis very true, Ishbel. I just can't see the combination of sponge cake and custard and not think of the Laird!

I always want to add liquor!

Must be a genetic quirk! 8)

Back
Top Bottom