What is a cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

messers

Assistant Cook
What is a 'cobbler'? I have seen this in receipe books but never really tired making it

Here in the US, it's a dessert that is made from fruit that has a crust that rises to the top when cooked. In the UK, I understnd it is something entirely different. Here is a picture of peach cobbler:

My grandma made the most amazing blackberry cobbler in the world!

and just like Mama said, there's a crust on top, and cooked fruit underneath. Sometimes the crust rises, but others (like Grandma's) had the topping put directly on the top. In any sense, it's one of the greatest desserts, I think. They're always best, still hot, with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top.

That said, here's probably the easiest "cobbler" if you want to try something quick: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/quickie-peach-cobbler-12105.html

and they fix shoes

cob·bler Pronunciation: \ˈkä-blər\ Function:noun Etymology:Middle English cobelereDate:13th century
1: a mender or maker of shoes and often of other leather goods
2archaic : a clumsy workman
3: a tall iced drink consisting usually of wine, rum, or whiskey and sugar garnished with mint or a slice of lemon or orange
4: a deep-dish fruit dessert with a thick top crust

I believe you are looking for the 4th version

What is a 'cobbler'? I have seen this in receipe books but never really tired making it

Hi Messers,
There are 2 types of "cobblers" - a savoury one and a sweet one.

Each consists of 2 layers.

Savoury one - which uses a rich mince/ground beef/other meat or vegetable stew as the base upon which one places scones and bakes.

A sweet one, which requires a base of stewed fruit upon which one places scones and bakes.

Nothing could be simpler!

Regards,
Archiduc

1. A guy or gal who makes shoes.:LOL: no Kidding.

2. From Webster's - 1: a mender or maker of shoes and often of other leather goods2archaic : a clumsy workman3: a tall iced drink consisting usually of wine, rum, or whiskey and sugar garnished with mint or a slice of lemon or orange4: a deep-dish fruit dessert with a thick top crust.

I believe number 4 is what you are looking for. Cobblers usually have some type of fruit on the bottom, such as cherry, peaches, apple, etc. Then, a pastry crust is made on top of that, made flour, sugar, egg, salt, water, vanilla, and sometimes spices such as nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, etc.

A crisp is simialr to a cobler, but with a crumbled top crust made usually from flour, sugar, salt, water, vanilla, and sometimes spices such as nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, etc. It is mixed with oil, lard, shortening, or butter and often broken walnuts or pecans, and then crumbled and sprinkled over the fruit and baked together.

A Betty (brown betty) is made from baked fruit, breadcrumbs, and spices. It is reffered to as a pudding in the British use of the word, which is like a pie with no top-crust, or like bread pudding.

Ahh rats! or should I say TattRat! I just looked at all of the postings in this thread. Seems Tatt beat me to Webster's.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Hi Messers,
There are 2 types of "cobblers" - a savoury one and a sweet one.

Each consists of 2 layers.

Savoury one - which uses a rich mince/ground beef/other meat or vegetable stew as the base upon which one places scones and bakes.

A sweet one, which requires a base of stewed fruit upon which one places scones and bakes.

Nothing could be simpler!

Regards,
Archiduc

I think the sweet variety is what's most common in the USA, and people in the UK a type of pie known as a cobbler (which would be the savory one), though most people in the US wouldn't consider a "cobbler". (And I suppose that UK residents wouldn't consider a sweet cobbler a cobbler. :LOL:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom