Yummy Pumpkin Crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I didn't have the correct ingredients to make exactly what I wanted yesterday, and we were having company over. So I improvised and came up with this simple pumpkin crisp. As I didn't have regular canned milk, and winged the topping, I wasn't sure ow this would come out. But hey, when in a pinch... Everyone loved it. I have to warn you though, this stuff is addicting. You eat one serving, and you find youself heading back for seconds, or thirds (at least if your my wife you do:LOL:). Me, I only snitched another spoonful or two from the pan, with a clean spoon of course. So as always, when something I make just works, I share it with all of you (Though the last two recipes I shared didn't even get a single response (heavy sigh and whining:()).:ROFLMAO:

Pumpkin Crisp
Filling Ingredients:
1 can Libby's pumkin
1 can sweetened-condensed milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt

Crisp Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. cinnamon
1/4 cup cooking oil
4 tbs. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350' F. Combine the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a buttered 9 X 12 cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

While the custard is baking, cut the butter into the flour. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix together. Sprinkle the oil over everything and again mix. Break up the large lumps. Crisp should resemble pea gravel.

Remove the custard from the oven after the 25 minutes have elapsed and carefully sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over the custard. Return to the oven and increase the temperature to 375'. Bake for 30 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes to allow it to cool a bit. Serve with Chantilly Cream (sweetened whipped cream) or a good french vanilla ice cream.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I cannot wait to try this, it sounds wonderful, and I have a can of Libby's pumpkin that I bought when I was told there wouldn't be any available for awhile.

Thanks GOTN.
Lyndalou

I have no shortage of pumpkin in my house. Last year, I bought a very large pumpkin to make as a jack-o-lantern. It sat out in near freezing weather after being carved for only one night. And I used a battery operated LED light to illuminate it, so the inside never felt any heat. After Halloween, I cut it up and peeled it. I then boiled the pumpkin down, figuring I could at least use it as I would butternut squash. The taste was very similar.

On a whim, I decided to go against popular wisdom :)ohmy:What! Goodweed not listening to everyone else! No. Say it ain't so.):LOL: and make a pumpkin pie using the jack0o-lantern pumpkin. Everyone told me it couldn't be done, that you had to have the smaller pie pumpkins. Well, to make a long story short, the pies came out wonderful, and without changing the standard Libby's recipe one iota. So I have several bags of prepared pumpkin in my freezer still.

Remember, you can replace canned pumpkin with several of the winter squashes, as well as with sweet potato, and even beans. Look up bean pie recipes on line. I've had only one, and it was made by someone else, but until she told me it was bean pie, I would have sworn it was pumpkin pie.

Sometimes it's a good thing to listen to the masses. But usually, I find that it just slows me down, or limits me.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Speaking of Crisps. Years ago at the local schools cafeterias they use to make a Cranberry Crisp, Anyone ever make it? My hubby is wanting me to make one.

Speaking of Crisps. Years ago at the local schools cafeterias they use to make a Cranberry Crisp, Anyone ever make it? My hubby is wanting me to make one.

I make cranberry oat squares with leftover cranberry sauce. Thats as close to a crisp as I've seen with cranberry. Want the recipe?

Pumpkin Yogurt with Granola

I love your pumpkin dessert recipe! Pumpkins are delicious during the Fall. Here is another great idea for using pumpkins in a dish:

Pumpkin Yogurt with granola

Ingredients:
Plain yogurt
Pumpkin
Granola

Directions:
Mix everything together and enjoy!

It is so easy and healthy to make. Try serving it as an appetizer or light dessert treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cranberry Oat Squares. Thought I'd posted this already...weird!

I don't know when you first posted it, but I've made it several times, both with the cranberry sauce and with blueberry pie filling -- both are delish! Thanks again, Alix, for the recipe.

And Chief Longwind - I thought I had finally decided just what I wanted to make for Thanksgiving dessert -- until I read your pumpkin crisp recipe. It's back to the store for pumpkin. And thank you for sharing this.

I will be using fresh pumpkin to make this crisp. Can you please tell me the amount of pumpkin in the Libby's can? Thanks!

I will be using fresh pumpkin to make this crisp. Can you please tell me the amount of pumpkin in the Libby's can? Thanks!

I used about 18 fluid oz. of pumpking. Also, I forgot to include two eggs in the original recipe. That's what sets the custard. Sorry about that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Another question, Chief: Because of scarce oven space T'giving Day, I would need to bake it the day before. I'm assuming that it would need refrigeration. Would it be good served cold? Or could it be nuked briefly before serving? Would that ruin the custard? Or perhaps I just need to serve it for dessert after Thanksgiving Day with a leftovers dinner. What do you think?

It is very good served cold. Put a bit of whipped cream on top. Another way to present this dish is to put the uncooked custard into ramikens and bake it. Then, sprinkle sugar on top and hit it with a kitchen torch until the sugar melts and jsut starts to caremelize (turn brown). You then have pumpkin brule'.

There are a ton of things you can do with this custard. You can bake it into tarts, crisps, use in a pumpkin smoothie, add it to cream, with a little extra sugar to make pumpkin ice cream, etc. You could even place the cooked custard into refrigerator cresent rolls (like Pillsbury Cresent rolls) and bake them up.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh mee oh my! A delicious cold pudding it will be. I've asked my "discriminating" DIL dinner guest if she likes pumpkin. I hope not, so as to leave more for the rest of us. :pig: Many thanks for the several suggestions. Perhaps more than that, I appreciate your enthusiasm - which is catching - for trying lots of different things. :flowers:

my daughter is going to vegas for thanksgiving. so she is coming here the nite before, she is bringing food. i am going to make the pumpkin crisp for a dessert. thanks a lot for the recipe.

Someone brought in a pumpkin dump cake at work today. Must find out how she made it. It was very good.

I need to get the case of pumpkin out of my closet...I forgot it was there, along with a case of evap.

Someone brought in a pumpkin dump cake at work today. Must find out how she made it. It was very good.

i am taking one to thanksgiving at my granddaughter's house. if you want my recipe please let me know.

i am making the pumpkin crunch one for the weds. before t.g. when daughter is here. both sounds yummy to me.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom