"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 04-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Master Chef

Yummy Pumpkin Crisp

I didn't have the correct ingredients to make exactly what I wanted yesterday, and we were having company over. So I improvised and came up with this simple pumpkin crisp. As I didn't have regular canned milk, and winged the topping, I wasn't sure ow this would come out. But hey, when in a pinch... Everyone loved it. I have to warn you though, this stuff is addicting. You eat one serving, and you find youself heading back for seconds, or thirds (at least if your my wife you do). Me, I only snitched another spoonful or two from the pan, with a clean spoon of course. So as always, when something I make just works, I share it with all of you (Though the last two recipes I shared didn't even get a single response (heavy sigh and whining)).

Pumpkin Crisp
Filling Ingredients:
1 can Libby's pumkin
1 can sweetened-condensed milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt

Crisp Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. cinnamon
1/4 cup cooking oil
4 tbs. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350' F. Combine the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a buttered 9 X 12 cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

While the custard is baking, cut the butter into the flour. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix together. Sprinkle the oil over everything and again mix. Break up the large lumps. Crisp should resemble pea gravel.

Remove the custard from the oven after the 25 minutes have elapsed and carefully sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over the custard. Return to the oven and increase the temperature to 375'. Bake for 30 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes to allow it to cool a bit. Serve with Chantilly Cream (sweetened whipped cream) or a good french vanilla ice cream.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Head Chef

I cannot wait to try this, it sounds wonderful, and I have a can of Libby's pumpkin that I bought when I was told there wouldn't be any available for awhile.

Thanks GOTN.
Lyndalou

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have no shortage of pumpkin in my house. Last year, I bought a very large pumpkin to make as a jack-o-lantern. It sat out in near freezing weather after being carved for only one night. And I used a battery operated LED light to illuminate it, so the inside never felt any heat. After Halloween, I cut it up and peeled it. I then boiled the pumpkin down, figuring I could at least use it as I would butternut squash. The taste was very similar.

On a whim, I decided to go against popular wisdom (What! Goodweed not listening to everyone else! No. Say it ain't so.) and make a pumpkin pie using the jack0o-lantern pumpkin. Everyone told me it couldn't be done, that you had to have the smaller pie pumpkins. Well, to make a long story short, the pies came out wonderful, and without changing the standard Libby's recipe one iota. So I have several bags of prepared pumpkin in my freezer still.

Remember, you can replace canned pumpkin with several of the winter squashes, as well as with sweet potato, and even beans. Look up bean pie recipes on line. I've had only one, and it was made by someone else, but until she told me it was bean pie, I would have sworn it was pumpkin pie.

Sometimes it's a good thing to listen to the masses. But usually, I find that it just slows me down, or limits me.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Speaking of Crisps. Years ago at the local schools cafeterias they use to make a Cranberry Crisp, Anyone ever make it? My hubby is wanting me to make one.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

saved and put indg. on my shopping list. i love pumpkin. thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanat View Post
Speaking of Crisps. Years ago at the local schools cafeterias they use to make a Cranberry Crisp, Anyone ever make it? My hubby is wanting me to make one.
I make cranberry oat squares with leftover cranberry sauce. Thats as close to a crisp as I've seen with cranberry. Want the recipe?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I make cranberry oat squares with leftover cranberry sauce. Thats as close to a crisp as I've seen with cranberry. Want the recipe?
YES!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Everymom

Cranberry Oat Squares. Thought I'd posted this already...weird!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Oh that sounds good. I may give this a try some time, looks like a great fall dessert.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Smile Pumpkin Yogurt with Granola

I love your pumpkin dessert recipe! Pumpkins are delicious during the Fall. Here is another great idea for using pumpkins in a dish:

Pumpkin Yogurt with granola

Ingredients:
Plain yogurt
Pumpkin
Granola

Directions:
Mix everything together and enjoy!

It is so easy and healthy to make. Try serving it as an appetizer or light dessert treat.

Tags
None