"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Coal gas had been used as a means of powering delivery vans during the first world war and in the late 1930s Citroen, in France, had designed a car which had a built in gas generator rather than a conversion bolted on. It looks quite elegant.
Click image for larger version

Name:	38_Citroen_Traction_Avant_DV-06_AI_04.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	21839

Complete with bag of coal

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Coal gas had been used as a means of powering delivery vans during the first world war and in the late 1930s Citroen, in France, had designed a car which had a built in gas generator rather than a conversion bolted on. It looks quite elegant.
Attachment 21839

Complete with bag of coal
And here is a close-up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	38_Citroen_Traction_Avant_DV-06_AI_02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	21841

Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #43
Master Chef

Clara is another great resource for people interested in life during the Great Depression. Check our her videos and keep an eye out for her cooking book.

Great Depression Cooking - YouTube
Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the link Steve. I enjoyed that.

I remember my mum's old magazines that showed pattern layouts for cutting the fabric for ladies' clothes from old men's suits.
My sister grew up in feed sack dresses. I in handmade jeans made from dad's old ones. McCalls made the patterns and they came with a variety of collars, sleeves, and trim.

We had a large garden and chickens, mom canned everything, and so we always ate pretty well. When dad and I went to the feed store, mom sent a patch of fabric, and we had better not come back with the wrong fabric.

During WW II, everybody was involved. Aside from raising your own food, schools had paper and tin can drives. Moms canned and made clothes. My dad was an air raid warden captain. We pasted stamps in a book until we had a full book. Then traded the book for a war bond.

I still have dad's gas mask and helmet, a half filled war bond book, and ration coupons and tokens.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

For those of my generation who had parents who grew up during the Depression, our parents knew what they had to do during WWII. They had already lived through it during the Depression. Nothing went to waste. Leftover food often became hash the next night. My mother already knew portion control when she became a wife.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:

Without wishing to be being political, the system used from the late 1920s through the 1930s in Russia lead to severe shortages even before the war.
For sure, who can argue that. The rationing continued thru out the end of 1948, maybe longer, cannot remember. The system was not approved by people, such is tyranny. But millions died during that time due to starvation, millions. So, I just cannot feel bad when I read about Depression years. For many in Soviet Union the food people had here would have been a huge Holiday feast. Sadly.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

I know that there are those who follow the "Meatless Monday" trend ... thinking it might be fun to do "Depression-era Tuesdays." This would mean adhering to only buying/preparing ingredients that are in season, local and common--so no exotic ingredients unless you live where the ingredients are available...kinda like the 100-mile challenge. Anyone in?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I know that there are those who follow the "Meatless Monday" trend ... thinking it might be fun to do "Depression-era Tuesdays." This would mean adhering to only buying/preparing ingredients that are in season, local and common--so no exotic ingredients unless you live where the ingredients are available...kinda like the 100-mile challenge. Anyone in?
I mostly do that anyway. I don't feel deprived because it's the way we always did it. Nothing tastes as good when it's flown thousands of miles as it does when it was grown a few miles up the road (or in your own garden). It makes seasonal produce a treat. I always look forward to the very short English asparagus season (and budget for it) and only ever eat asparagus then. The best thing to come out of Peru was Paddington Bear, not asparagus

I went shopping today and out of interest looked at the display of apples in the supermarket (I usually buy my fruit and veg from the greengrocer). The English apple season is just getting into its stride. The s/market had apples from Chile, France and Germany but not a single English apple!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I went shopping today and out of interest looked at the display of apples in the supermarket (I usually buy my fruit and veg from the greengrocer). The English apple season is just getting into its stride. The s/market had apples from Chile, France and Germany but not a single English apple!
Quebec grows a lot of apples. I usually find a one to three week window when I can buy organic Quebec apples.

Why would I want apples from the southern hemisphere at this time of year. Those apples must already have been stored a half a year. We get those here too. I don't buy them.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. Here's a link to some recipes and booklets that outlined the rationing efforts in Canada during the time of the Second World War.

Canada Rationing

My grandparents were young adults during this time and their influence on my own youth does still carry forward at times when I strive to make a good economy of the resources we have.