"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

i guess my maternal grandfather was the only one who used the black market to supplement their rations.

geez, he must have bought a lot of stuff to keep it all going by himself.

actually, my mom said that since he owned a bar and was his own bartender, he used to get an occasional freebie or extra rations from the restaurant next door, or from a customer short on cash.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well, my mum would probably have used the black market to get some extra chocolate, but she was in a strange country and I don't know if she could find it.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mom's family had farms. Dad's family were not well off and I am sure they made use of whatever they could get their hands on, either legally or illegally. My Paternal Grandmother was the Queen of the 40 pound buffet visit.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I mostly do that anyway. I don't feel deprived because it's the way we always did it. Nothing tastes as good when it's flown thousands of miles as it does when it was grown a few miles up the road (or in your own garden). It makes seasonal produce a treat. I always look forward to the very short English asparagus season (and budget for it) and only ever eat asparagus then. The best thing to come out of Peru was Paddington Bear, not asparagus

I went shopping today and out of interest looked at the display of apples in the supermarket (I usually buy my fruit and veg from the greengrocer). The English apple season is just getting into its stride. The s/market had apples from Chile, France and Germany but not a single English apple!
I generally cook using what I have on hand, and usually that means what I've taken out of the garden. I too only eat asparagus when it is in season here (harvested from the fence lines--not the store). I remember only eating things that were in season growing up and that still makes sense to me, except I really like having fresh limes and lemons...
Old 09-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #55
Master Chef

This recipe for Cabbage Delmonico was an inexpensive main dish during the Great Depression and the war rationing years. Try using bacon fat instead of butter for the roux.

It also makes a nice side dish served with ham and baked potatoes.

Try making it with a head of cauliflower.

Cabbage Delmonico Casserole Recipe from CDKitchen.com
Old 09-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #56
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i guess my maternal grandfather was the only one who used the black market to supplement their rations.

geez, he must have bought a lot of stuff to keep it all going by himself.

actually, my mom said that since he owned a bar and was his own bartender, he used to get an occasional freebie or extra rations from the restaurant next door, or from a customer short on cash.
Bucky, there was a boat-load of bartering. My guess is that your grandpa was grand central for those seeking a trade. My dairy-owning grandma would have definitely bartered after she gave what she gave to the war effort.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Bucky, there was a boat-load of bartering. My guess is that your grandpa was grand central for those seeking a trade. My dairy-owning grandma would have definitely bartered after she gave what she gave to the war effort.
My grandfather bartered (well, accepted barter offers) in exchange for medications (he owned a pharmacy). Sometimes he'd come home with a chicken, a gallon or two of milk (including the cream), other times with a braided rug or a woven rag rug. He accepted what people could afford to offer in exchange for their medications. I still have one of those braided rugs and a couple of the rag rugs. My mother used to tell me stories of the things her dad would unload from the car after a day of rural deliveries. My grandmother was a gifted cook, seamstress, and very frugal. She also was a very optimistic and loving person. I don't think my grandfather made dandelion wine because it was so great tasting--on top of living in a very remote part of MN, my grandparents also lived in a dry county.

Because of the changing demographics where over 80% of the population in NA live in urban/small towns, most people would be hard pressed to adopt a self-sufficient lifestyle. We do our best to grow as much of our food as possible, and we'd probably do okay if we were suddenly faced with the hardships our ancestors faced during the Depression and WWII, but it wouldn't be fun. I would hate to go without Internet!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would miss the Internet the most. I likely no longer have the stamina and strength to live off the land., but I do have the knowledge.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would miss the Internet the most. I likely no longer have the stamina and strength to live off the land., but I do have the knowledge.
I'd really rather take a bubble bath with a glass of wine than process tomatoes, cabbage, and beets. And yes, I would miss the Internet most!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #60
Head Chef

Sort of along the line of efficient gardening and 1940 I hope. Anyone try the hanging basket tomato, strawberries AS SEEN ON TV thingy? I did. Not good, lol. It looked good in the TV infomercial. I may try it again someday as I bought two full sets. Not good. It came out...not good. lol.

I also was into "square foot" gardening back in the late 80's. I think PBS even had a series about square foot gardening. I may try that again someday. That is truly 1940's inspired vegetable gardening. Maximizing space.