7 Foods Not to Eat... Beef, Milk, Apples...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just playing devils advocate here, but if you are so worried that the microwave is potentially changing the chemical structure of compounds into cancer causing agents then why do you feel safe using it on your sponges which will then be used on things you eat off of? Couldn't the structure of things in the sponge be changed the same way and then transferred to the plate you eat off of or the fork you put in your mouth?

As heaven's advocate (that would be opposite of devil's advocate, right?) you aren't eating the sponge!

No you are not eating the sponge, but you are wiping the sponge on things that come into contact with your food. things are transferred from one to the other. My point is that if you believe that the microwave is changing compounds into something dangerous, even though tons of reliable studies and research has been done that show otherwise, then it would be just as logical to believe that the sponge would have the same affect and transfer that to surfaces you eat off of. Neither of these things really happen IMO, but if you believe one why would you not believe the other?

Love the heavens advocate btw :LOL:

Specious logic at best.
Comparing an inedible item to foodstuffs to make a point.....

By now, we should all know that certain beliefs are held close to the heart,
and we won't be changing them by bombarding with logic and facts.

No reason to belittle others for their beliefs.. just like if they don't like certain foods...... as mentioned elsewhere.

(ducking head and cringing)

I would hardly call it specious logic. It is just as logical to assume my example is correct as it is to assume acetone's is correct as neither have any scientific studies to back them up (as far as I have seen).

I think you must have misread something somewhere GF. No one was being belittled anywhere. Opinions were being expressed and each person is entitled to his or hers.

I used to work with a guy that held the same beliefs about microwaving food. He even said that microwaving water changed its properties. Water consists of only hydrogen and oxygen. And if the properties changed wouldn't it make something other than water?

I agree with GF in one respect. We cannot change closely held beliefs here. We can disagree and leave it at that.

Over the years, I have heard all kinds of "scientific" studies that claim some food product or other is bad for you. The media picks up on it and gives it a huge amount of coverage, scaring many of the people in the country. Later, when the earlier statements are debunked by reputable sources, the coverage is nil so most don't ever hear they have been led astray.

Coffee is a prime example. It has been both good and bad for you at various times. Aluminum pans cause Alzheimer's. OOOPS, no they don't.

Now many people hear negative statements about various things and don't know what to believe so the assume the worst and avoid the product "just to play it safe" which effectively validates the original statement.

Then there are the manufacturers of certain product types that mount campaigns to trash the competition. I am thinking primarily of the anti-canola garbage we hear.

I decided for myself years ago that I would not live in fear of the food I eat. I will eat what I want, hopefully in moderation, and suffer the consequences. I'm still alive and kicking.

Don't try to change my mind. I will just categorize you as a fanatic and ignore you.

Cooking by its very nature changes the composition of the food. It denatures proteins etc. That happens either on a stove or in a microwave.

Andy's point, and Grilling Fool's I believe are well taken. We all have strongly held beliefs here and none of us are going to change anyone else's mind. And as bigdaddy3k reminds us, text is a lousy medium to convey context. Its possible to read offense where none was meant, especially when passions are high.

We've ventured a long way from the original post, meandered through many things and really have run the course with this thread. Lets agree to disagree on some of these issues and move along. On a foodie board, this kind of thread is like a religious discussion elsewhere!

Say goodnight Gracie.

I once microwaved water and when I opened the door.... IT WAS HOT! So the molecules were excited but not changed.

A microwave is a radio wave, just at a ultra high frequency. There are no radioactive elements to the microwave (as was once believed). There is no real mystery to it. It's a glorified radio that transmits through an emmiter. What does it transmit? The same static that you hear between stations on your radio, white noise.

Signed,
Mr. Electronics

This was posted at the same time as Alix's post. I agree. Lets bury the text hatchet and move on to better topics.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Microwaves are widely accepted to be very safe, but honestly, they have been around for only a few decades ...

Humm ... only been around for decades. Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Pyrex cookware didn't exist before about 1920, Melamine dinnerware first showed up in the late 1930's, the first microwave oven went into service in a restaurant in 1945, Corning cookware wasn't introduced until 1958, and silicone bakeware/baking mats didn't emerge until the 1980's.

As GB said, there is no research, or historical data, to show any evidence of a health hazard from the food cooked in a microwave oven. They have, on the other hand, been shown to be one of the healthiest ways to cook because they do not cause the loss of nutrients that other forms of cooking do - especially vegetables.

Oops ... looks like I was typing at the same time as Alix and bigdaddy ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom