"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #91
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Source?
This should give you some idea re. Monsanto and buying up seed companies (to monopolise the seed market via patents). I thought this was becoming common knowledge.

Since you are a gardener, I am surprised you do not already know this.

Monsanto Buys Up Heirloom Seed Suppliers | Permaculture Magazine

Old 08-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I am wondering what might constitute a "credible" source to you. Are you expecting a government source to be outing Monsanto on buying up a bee research company now that Monsanto has been implicated in their pesticides causing a decline in the bee population? Surely not!

There are countless more sources of websites exposing this underhanded development.....maybe none of them would satisfy you. Can they all be lying?

Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research Firm

Blamed for Bee Collapse, Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research FirmREALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
Yes, they could all be lying.

I'm not sure what we are trying to prove here, but if it's that Monsanto bought a bee research company there are some sites that I would consider more reliable for this piece of news, e.g.,

The Buzz on Beeologics
Monsanto buys bee-friendly pesticide researcher - BusinessWeek

As to motivations for this purchase, I don't think anyone can offer anything but opinion.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #93
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I'm not sure what we are trying to prove here, but if it's that Monsanto bought a bee research company there are some sites that I would consider more reliable for this piece of news, e.g.,

The Buzz on Beeologics

As to motivations for this purchase, I don't think anyone can offer anything but opinion.
Thank you for seeking out links that might better meet with GG's approval.

As to the motivation, are you not at all suspicious that Monsanto bought up a leading bee research company in the wake of being implicated for causing a decline in the bee population with their pesticides? Did that escape you? The writing is on the wall .... and in large letters too! Of course they will put their spin on the reason why they bought up the bee research company - a nice whitewash job, i.e. you can be sure they will not mention that they had the finger pointing to them in the first place!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thank you for seeking out links that might better meet with GG's approval.

As to the motivation, are you not at all suspicious that Monsanto bought up a leading bee research company in the wake of being implicated for causing a decline in the bee population with their pesticides? Did that escape you? The writing is on the wall .... and in large letters too! Of course they will put their spin on the reason why they bought up the bee research company - a nice whitewash job, i.e. you can be sure they will not mention that they had the finger pointing to them in the first place!
Of course I'm suspicious of Monsanto. I am certainly not one of their fans. But, it is possible that they are trying to ameliorate the effect of their pesticides on bees. It's all just conjecture.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

The Buzz on Beeologics

Not only can they all be lying, but they can just be re-posting each other's stories. NaturalNews and Mercola are well known to be unreliable and sensationalistic.

So Monsanto purchased a company that does research on treating a virus that could be one of several causes of colony collapse disorder. So what? Most experts think CCD has multiple causes, including diseases, climate change, pesticides and beekeepers' frequent practice of taking the bees' honey and feeding them sugar water. Btw, Bayer makes pesticides that are part of the problem as well. Monsanto is always the only one mentioned, though. It's almost like a reflex.

It doesn't surprise me, or alarm me, to know that Monsanto purchased a company that works to mitigate CCD. After all, their customers are farmers. They don't want farmers going out of business.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #96
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Not only can they all be lying, but they can just be re-posting each other's stories. NaturalNews and Mercola are well known to be unreliable and sensationalistic.
Source?

Just saying, if you're going to make claims like this after asking others to cite sources, you should probably cite yours as well.

The Natural News guy is a bit of a jerk. Using his "natural news" site to promote his political agenda. He's entitled to his opinion politically, but shouldn't use the site he built for Natural News to bash the president, as easy as it is to debunk most of that crap, but I digress. A lot of the health related stuff he talks about is spot on. So don't dispute his health posts based on his political agenda.

Why is Mercola unreliable and sensationalistic? Is it because they say things that the main stream doesn't agree with? For how many decades have people been saying that fat is what causes people to be fat and to avoid fat in food and what have we learned? That it's complete nonsense. Sugar is what is causing us to be fat. That's what they put in foods after they take the fat out of them so they taste better.

Just because someone says something you don't necessarily agree with doesn't make them a liar.

People just need to start asking different questions.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Source?

Just saying, if you're going to make claims like this after asking others to cite sources, you should probably cite yours as well.

The Natural News guy is a bit of a jerk. Using his "natural news" site to promote his political agenda. He's entitled to his opinion politically, but shouldn't use the site he built for Natural News to bash the president, as easy as it is to debunk most of that crap, but I digress. A lot of the health related stuff he talks about is spot on. So don't dispute his health posts based on his political agenda.

Why is Mercola unreliable and sensationalistic? Is it because they say things that the main stream doesn't agree with? For how many decades have people been saying that fat is what causes people to be fat and to avoid fat in food and what have we learned? That it's complete nonsense. Sugar is what is causing us to be fat. That's what they put in foods after they take the fat out of them so they taste better.

Just because someone says something you don't necessarily agree with doesn't make them a liar.
Somehow I don't think you really care what my sources are And you haven't been around long enough to make accusations like that about me. You're making assumptions based on your own biases.

I will say this: I don't trust sites that are there to try to sell me something.

And there's this: http://www.quackwatch.com/search/web...query=Mercola+

And this: http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ut_cancer.html
Old 08-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

So Monsanto purchased a company that does research on treating a virus that could be one of several causes of colony collapse disorder. So what? Most experts think CCD has multiple causes, including diseases, climate change, pesticides and beekeepers' frequent practice of taking the bees' honey and feeding them sugar water. Btw, Bayer makes pesticides that are part of the problem as well. Monsanto is always the only one mentioned, though. It's almost like a reflex.

It doesn't surprise me, or alarm me, to know that Monsanto purchased a company that works to mitigate CCD. After all, their customers are farmers. They don't want farmers going out of business.
Exactly. I absolutely see your point about not being alarmed. I acknowledge that they may have lovely, ethical reasons for buying a bee research company. But, it does make me wonder.

I posted those two links to demonstrate that there were credible articles about that purchase. I have to wonder why someone would only post the non-credible links, when the two I posted were fairly far up the first page of the Google search results.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

BTW GG, thanks for the link to Quackwatch. I have bookmarked it. I only read a little of article, but it's nice to know there is such a website.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #100
Head Chef

Talking

Quote:
Well done - you bought the cover (up) story!

I have no doubt that they are looking into CCD but that is hardly the whole story is it in light of what took place before them buying up the leading bee research company....notably,

- why would Monsanto ever mention that their pesticides were implicated in causing a decline in the bee population in the first place...hmm

Tags
food