"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Correlation does not equal causation. X may be "linked with" Y, but that doesn't prove that X caused Y. Making a decision because something "seems to make sense" is not based on evidence, so it may or may not be true.

Question: Did you wake up this morning? So did I! So did your waking cause mine, or did my waking cause yours? Or are they unrelated? If they're "linked" because they both happened at the same time, what is the hypothesis that explains why?
I don't understand your point. I do understand that correlation does not equal causation. Example: a town with an asbestos mine. Someone noted that the people who lived in the houses with largest TV antennas had the highest rates of cancer/lung disease. Now, how would TV antennas do that? They don't. The people with the biggest TV antennas turned out to be the guys who put in the most overtime in the mines and therefore had the most asbestos exposure.

Are you saying that, "“Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers,” he says. And increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson’s disease." doesn't prove it was caused by eating pesticides? Maybe there is no cause and effect for the higher cancer rates in farm workers. I still don't want to eat pesticides.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
Master Chef

What of those points do DC folks disagree with ?

I think most of them are spot on.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't understand your point. I do understand that correlation does not equal causation.
That is exactly my point.

Quote:
Are you saying that, "“Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers,” he says. And increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson’s disease." doesn't prove it was caused by eating pesticides? Maybe there is no cause and effect for the higher cancer rates in farm workers. I still don't want to eat pesticides.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Farm workers in general are transients with very low wages and no health insurance (they move around depending on what crops are ripening) so I would expect them to have higher rates of all kinds of diseases.

You can eat or not eat whatever you want. Doesn't make a difference to me My view is that in general, people in Western societies are healthier and better fed than people have ever been before in history.

Btw, have you ever sprinkled salt on a slug? It's a pretty effective pesticide People are neither pests nor fungus.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Btw, have you ever sprinkled salt on a slug? It's a pretty effective pesticide People are neither pests nor fungus.
You could do the same thing to a human with enough salt. And saying humans aren't pests... you obviously haven't met enough humans
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
You could do the same thing to a human with enough salt.
No, salt isn't absorbed through human skin, like it is for soft-bodied creatures. You can sit in a layer of salt and it will not kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
And saying humans aren't pests... you obviously haven't met enough humans
I knew someone would say that!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
What of those points do DC folks disagree with ?

I think most of them are spot on.
I think they're first-world problems that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about. Most people in this world would be thrilled to have easy access to these foods and they would be healthier and live longer.

Check this out:

4 College Kids Decided To Try Living Like 1.1 Billion People Do Every Day
Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I think they're first-world problems that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about. Most people in this world would be thrilled to have easy access to these foods and they would be healthier and live longer.

Check this out:

4 College Kids Decided To Try Living Like 1.1 Billion People Do Every Day
Yup, definitely first world problems, but I live in the first world. If I was hungry enough, I would eat those foods.

So, what do we do about poverty and hunger? Somehow eating food that's covered in pesticides and herbicides doesn't seem to be the answer.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yup, definitely first world problems, but I live in the first world. If I was hungry enough, I would eat those foods.

So, what do we do about poverty and hunger? Somehow eating food that's covered in pesticides and herbicides doesn't seem to be the answer.
Well, I think a lot of those statements are overblown, there are a lot of qualifications in those little blurbs, and many the links go to other pages on the same site, so I just don't find it very credible.

For example, bovine growth hormone is broken down by stomach acids so it is not absorbed into the body so it has no effect on humans. Research into using BGH on humans with dwarfism showed no effect. That's why diabetics need to inject insulin, another hormone. If they took it as a pill, it would be broken down and be ineffective.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...t/FN-250_6.pdf

Regarding poverty and hunger, we each do what we can. When I was working, I donated to the medical school which provides free medical care to the poor and sends students to places like Haiti and central America to provide free health care. Now I volunteer with the master gardeners who grew and donated over 1,000 pounds of fresh vegetables to the local food bank last summer and we sponsor a Junior Master Gardeners program, among several others, that teaches schoolchildren about growing their own food and other plants.

I also think sites like that unnecessarily make poor and middle-class people feel bad about their food choices and may cause some to spend beyond their means for food that isn't necessarily a huge improvement. If people have the money to spend $15 for a single free-range chicken or $18/pound for wild salmon, hey, go for it. Most people can't afford it and I think it's wrong to tell them they're eating crap when fresh apples and fish and milk are healthful options.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
8 Foods Even The Experts Won

We already don't eat most of those foods, for the same reasons. I am looking to change to grass fed beef.
I eat locally "grown" grass fed beef because it tastes better than the other stuff.

However, there is a welfare issue involved with only feeding cattle on grass. The nutritional content of grass varies throughout the year for various reasons and in temperate climates (as in Britain) and areas with cold winters (as in many parts of America) it stops growing completely at 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). This means that for cattle to thrive and build muscle (to make good meat) they must be fed supplementary cereals and hay in winter. The best farmers feed non-GM feed and organic cereals but you have to ask to be sure.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
Head Chef

You can't live your life fearing everything, but you sure as heck can make informed decisions. Banned ingredients that are still legal in the US. And nearly all of the big name (fake) food producers use completely different ingredients for what they sell in other countries and save the toxic stuff for the US - because profit > health. It saddens me that our FDA is complicit right alongside them.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food