"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
To be honest I don't eat bean sprouts apart from the rare occasions I have Chinese. There are more exciting vegetables.
Yes, I agree! I use to sprout them myself (for their proclaimed high nutritional value) but that was before I knew about them being susceptible to bacteria. I think they are unappetising when cooked (just about tolerable in a chow mein) and - to be frank - quite insipid raw.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Washing bean sprouts will not remove any bacteria. I'm bummed about it because fresh sprouts add a nice crunch to Vietnamese soups and salads.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
They could irradiate them. I just worry that the producers will be even less careful with cleanliness if they know all the micro-organisms will be irradiated to death.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
Wine Guy

Well, I'm certainly not going to stop eating bean sprouts. I've enjoyed them, both raw and cooked, my entire life. And to the best of my knowledge, I've never suffered any ill effects.

The fact is, ANY food that's considered high in nutrition is fair game for bacteria. Does that mean we should all just stop eating nutritious food?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #35
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, I'm certainly not going to stop eating bean sprouts. I've enjoyed them, both raw and cooked, my entire life. And to the best of my knowledge, I've never suffered any ill effects.

The fact is, ANY food that's considered high in nutrition is fair game for bacteria. Does that mean we should all just stop eating nutritious food?
Can you explain how you arrive at this conclusion? Pomegranates - for instance - are high in antioxidants and are not susceptible to bacteria, i.e. do not have a link to numerous cases of illness, as has been the case with beansprouts.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Can you explain how you arrive at this conclusion? Pomegranates - for instance - are high in antioxidants and are not susceptible to bacteria, i.e. do not have a link to numerous cases of illness, as has been the case with beansprouts.
Really? How about Hepatitus A? Maybe you should stop eating pomegranates.
Hepatitis A Outbreak Linked to Townsend Farms-Costco Pomegranate Seeds Grows Again | Food Poisoning Bulletin
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #37
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Really? How about Hepatitus A? Maybe you should stop eating pomegranates.
Hepatitis A Outbreak Linked to Townsend Farms-Costco Pomegranate Seeds Grows Again | Food Poisoning Bulletin
That is a manufactured product i.e. not the fruit itself in its natural fresh state. I see this product had to be recalled so it was an error in the production and not attributable to the fresh pomegranate. I live in UK so have never heard of this product, i.e. we don't get that here.

So...can you give me any better examples of foods high in nutrition having bacteria enough to be linked with illnesses (not manufactured products)?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitn...d-foods-123406
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I eat raw sprouts, of all kinds, almost every single day. No problems. I buy from one trusted source. Love them on my sandwiches.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
That is a manufactured product i.e. not the fruit itself in its natural fresh state...
From Steve's linked article: Investigations have traced the virus back to pomegranate seeds...

Tags
food