"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
You may not feed chicken manure and soybeans to your cattle, but evidently they do in some places, including Missouri:

G2077 Feeding Poultry Litter to Beef Cattle | University of Missouri Extension
Farm Management - AgEBB
Yes it is common practise here in UK, i.e. fed to poultry that are not raised organically - called DPM (dried poultry manure). I always buy organic eggs.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Ok I can see the soybeans. Looks like they were geared more towards cows and calves rather than feeder cattle. For those who don't know cows are the moms and feeders (steers and heifers) are sent to slaughter.
In early 2000s beans were cheap.Thats when your link was put out. They were in the $4 range (I looked it up to be sure) Now they are in the $13 range. Corn is in the $3 range right now.
The chicken poop thing left me speechless. WOW. Feed the poop from one animal to another? I know they make blood meal and bone meal from cattle but that's not poop. I am going to show this to my boss see if he ever heard about this.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Washing veg is one thing, but when there have been numerous reported outbreaks 'of foodborne illnesses' from having eaten beansprouts...I for one take note! Would washing the beansprouts rid of the bacteria? Is it that simple? The advice is to cook them which depletes the beansprouts nutritionally.
I don't eat beansprouts so I can't say.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #54
Head Chef

Cattle in feed lots are fed lots and lots of weird things--whatever is cheap, has protein (chicken poo) and is transportable. Rejected candy is used in some places, and spent grain from the distilling process.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Cattle in feed lots are fed lots and lots of weird things--whatever is cheap, has protein (chicken poo) and is transportable. Rejected candy is used in some places, and spent grain from the distilling process.
Chicken manure may well have protein but it is also a waste product, i.e. not a 'pure'/wholesome food
Old 02-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #56
Master Chef

More and more, I'm understanding why there are vegetarians.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #57
Senior Cook

The candy bar thing didn't work out so well. That was tried back in the 80s out here. Lots of people feed distillers. Its actually real good but one thing about it is it creates more manure and you have to clean the pens more often. There is a new thing out now I dont know the real word for it everyone just calls it liquid corn. ITs like a syrup. Has all the nutritional value of corn but its liquid. A by product of making ethanol like the distillers. If they need more fiber in the ration you add corn stalks that have near zero nutritional value. You put this liquid corn on and mix it up. We use to cover our silage pit with plastic to keep it from spoiling. All kinds of critters love a silage pile because its warm. Rats mice raccoons possums ect. We started spraying it with liquid corn it keeps better and no critters get in it. They don't like sticky fur.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
More and more, I'm understanding why there are vegetarians.
Yes, with my acquired knowledge on food practises I should really go veggie....guess I am waiting for the right time/motivation - meanwhile, have to confess I do like eating meat and fish. However, I shop with care and do not begrudge spending more for quality food.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #59
Wine Guy

This is why I buy grass fed beef from a local place. The cattle have never been off the farm and I get a fact sheet with every purchase with information on the farmer who raised it. Yes, it's more expensive but I don't mind paying a little more.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This is why I buy grass fed beef from a local place. The cattle have never been off the farm and I get a fact sheet with every purchase with information on the farmer who raised it. Yes, it's more expensive but I don't mind paying a little more.
I'm with you.

I've cut way down on beef and source it more carefully.

Switched to a lot of fresh wild fish and (hopefully) humanely raised chicken.

Tags
food