"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #71
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Anthony J - brilliantly debated (the last post on previous page, # 70)

Monsanto cannot be trusted to tell the truth. When the finger was pointed at their pesticides as directly adversely affecting the bee population, what did they do?

They bought up the leading bee research company! Yep, so now they can fabricate statistics.
Hmm

Old 08-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #72
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Monsanto's past track record is pretty grim...remember, Agent Orange?

Old 08-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Be that as it may, GMO does not have a higher yield and it brings us to a better point. Our population is growing UP, literally, as in stacking people on top of other people to live. Yet we are counting on the same square meter of land to provide for multiple times the people per square meter. On top of that, "pests" are the other problem. So let's break it down.

We have a problem with pests, but we make the problem exponentially worse by creating mono-crop farms. Abundance yields abundance. Our human population didn't boom until we mastered agriculture and provided ourselves with more food. So what are we doing? Planting every acre of land with the same single crop rather than dividing up a field into MANY crop types (each of which has a different pest, generally speaking). So what we are doing is causing a boom in pests and then combating the boom we caused by spraying large amounts of questionable chemicals on to the plants. In the process, we've created super bugs and super weeds that are resilient to the chemicals.

We can combat both issues, rise in population and pests eating crops (though some of these "pests" are the pollinators) by bringing the plants indoors to keep the pests out and creating a multi-level farm easily doubling, tripling, quadrupling our farming area by "stacking" farms.
It certainly does have a higher yield. GMOs are not monocrops; there are different varieties for different conditions around the world.

Glyphosate is safer than many pesticides and herbicides used in organic farming. Look up Rotenone. And organic farming creates resistant pests and weeds, too.

Companies are creating indoor farms. I saw one when we visited my in-laws in Michigan recently. But it's not cheap to build, so it won't help poor countries anytime soon.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post

Monsanto cannot be trusted to tell the truth. When the finger was pointed at their pesticides as directly adversely affecting the bee population, what did they do?

They bought up the leading bee research company! Yep, so now they can fabricate statistics.
Do you have a credible source for that?

You do know that a lot of research on glyphosate done by the government and universities, right? And that the patent on glyphosate expired in 2000. Lots of other companies make it, too.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #75
Assistant Cook

Quote:

Hmm
Doesn't help that former Monsanto execs are now at the helm of the FDA. Conflict of interest anyone? Same goes for drug companies. If the idea of Monsanto and Big Pharma execs being in powerful positions in the FDA doesn't reek of conflicted interests, I don't know what it does.

So long as there is a dollar to be made, there will be someone who will throw as many dollars as they need to at whatever needs to be done so they can continue to make more dollars.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Monsanto's past track record is pretty grim...remember, Agent Orange?
That was 50 years ago. Lots of things have changed in the meantime.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #77
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you have a credible source for that?

You do know that a lot of research on glyphosate done by the government and universities, right? And that the patent on glyphosate expired in 2000. Lots of other companies make it, too.
Back to the FDA, which is full of Monsanto and Big Pharma execs. Who is funding the university studies? Dig deeper. Just because lots of companies make it now doesn't mean it's safe. I'm not going to tell you how to eat, if you feel comfortable eating this stuff, good on ya. I don't feel comfortable with the evidence I've found in regard to the stuff, so I'm staying away.

Let me know about the studies done once all the lobbyists are gone and the former chemical and drug company people are no longer in the FDA. Until then, three words: Conflict of interests. Why would people paint something they profit from in a negative light?

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #78
Assistant Cook

Quote:
That was 50 years ago. Lots of things have changed in the meantime.
Yeah, like them trying to use part of it as a "new" pesticide. Because we don't have other alternatives that would work better...

Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #79
Assistant Cook

Quote:
It certainly does have a higher yield. GMOs are not monocrops; there are different varieties for different conditions around the world.

Glyphosate is safer than many pesticides and herbicides used in organic farming. Look up Rotenone. And organic farming creates resistant pests and weeds, too.

Companies are creating indoor farms. I saw one when we visited my in-laws in Michigan recently. But it's not cheap to build, so it won't help poor countries anytime soon.
Monocrops, as in entire farms planted with one single crop. I understand there are more than one type of GM crop. Also, a GM crop that doesn't produce more than an organic one won't help a poor country soon either.

Failure to Yield: Evaluating the Performance of Genetically Engineered Crops (2009)

Do GMO Crops Really Have Higher Yields? | Mother Jones

Do GMO Crops Increase Yields? New Report Says Maybe Not

No disrespect intended, but I really shouldn't have to do all the work here. It's not hard to find information on this subject. Funny how of all the pages I've found, only Monsanto says they do, every other study says no.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Back to the FDA, which is full of Monsanto and Big Pharma execs. Who is funding the university studies? Dig deeper. Just because lots of companies make it now doesn't mean it's safe. I'm not going to tell you how to eat, if you feel comfortable eating this stuff, good on ya. I don't feel comfortable with the evidence I've found in regard to the stuff, so I'm staying away.

Let me know about the studies done once all the lobbyists are gone and the former chemical and drug company people are no longer in the FDA. Until then, three words: Conflict of interests. Why would people paint something they profit from in a negative light?
So, what are the sources you trust and how are they funded?

Tags
food