"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #81
Assistant Cook

Just gonna leave this right over here...

Do Organic Farmers Use Pesticides?

"The pesticides found on the NOP's list of allowable pesticides are, for the most part, derived from natural sources rather than synthetic sources. They've been found not to be carcinogenic like the heavy amounts of synthetic fertilizers used on conventional crops."

"However, use of non-synthetic pesticides must be a last resort and most organic farmers use pesticides only when absolutely necessary and instead employ methods like crop rotation, plant selection, and predator insects in an effort to control pests on their crops. Soil fertility and crop nutrients should, for the most part, be managed through crop tillage and cultivation, crop rotation, and cover crops supplemented with animal and crop waste. Livestock standards prohibit that animals be fed feed that was harvested using prohibited pesticides."

Interesting bits of information The Google has turned up.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #82
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
So, what are the sources you trust and how are they funded?
I don't believe that any study is not biased in any way. Everyone has a bias. But what I do believe is, if there are several studies that conclude something negative about something, I would rather be safe than sorry. Frankly, as much information as there is out there about all of this stuff, there needs to be more of it.

It bothers me deeply that countless other countries have banned this crap and others have labeled it. If these companies are so proud of what they've made and how it will help people, why are they spending so much money to hide it? Why are they destroying farmers livelihoods?

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #83
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
That was 50 years ago. Lots of things have changed in the meantime.
Yes like between 1995 - 2005 Monsanto acquired over 50 seed companies globally, e.g. corn, cotton, wheat, soy, potatoes and tomatoes. This monopoly threatens to wipe out all non-transgenic varieties.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #84
Head Chef

Quote:
Do you have a credible source for that?
Monsanto buys leading bee research firm after being implicated in bee colony collapse - NaturalNews.com

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9Q1M0UO0.htm
Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes like between 1995 - 2005 Monsanto acquired over 50 seed companies globally, e.g. corn, cotton, wheat, soy, potatoes and tomatoes. This monopoly threatens to wipe out all non-transgenic varieties.
Source?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Natural News is not a credible source. The second link is broken.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #87
Sous Chef

because big companies were jumping en masse on the "organic" bandwagon with mega-pricing, the gummymint decided to "define" what was / was not permitted to be labeled as "organic"

and, despite non-definition / regulation / labeling requirements - we continue to see such xrapola as "organic fish" - no one, other than the marketing department, knows what that means.

anyone who gardens organically and has any knowledge of good/bad/whatever pesticides will likely die of disbelief when reading the FDA/USDA "permitted" list.

the wheat saturated pre-harvest with RoundUp is an interesting falsification. the "famous" author actually did no research. and the actual wheat farmers don't know of anyone using RoundUp to "dry" the crop - primarily because it's action time is way too slow. other desiccants are used - especially where there is a short season. Say goodnight, Canada....

otoh, multiple 'studies' about the safety of the active RoundUp ingredient - gluesowhatever - show it _by itself_ actually 'safe' - but what has been shown to be not so safe is the "inert" ingredients. when one can produce skin tumors on mice using the inert ingredients, but not with the active ingredient, that would normally raise some questions to the average smarts person. but no such questions have been raised by the gummymint eeeeeedeeeiots.

as a "formulation" it has been banned in many countries. they have not sorted out the wheat from the chaff; it's "not natural" therefore it's "banned"

I don't use it, I don't "approve" of it - and if there's anything I disprove more it's the harbingers of false science and distorted to out-right non-facts blogging and flogging their Dr. Mercola style opinions. in the end that kind of "information" does more harm than good.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
No disrespect intended, but I really shouldn't have to do all the work here. It's not hard to find information on this subject. Funny how of all the pages I've found, only Monsanto says they do, every other study says no.
No, it's not hard to find information. It *is* hard to find credible information. As I said before, I don't Google blindly and believe whichever results pop up the most. Study design matters. The reputation of the people doing the studies matters.

I don't happen to believe that scientists are easily bought off or told what their results should be. I know some. They have integrity.

There clearly is no point to this discussion. See you elsewhere around the forums
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I haven't read much of the list of permitted stuff for USDA certified organic. I have read enough of their rules that I don't pay extra for USDA certified organic. I want it certified by a reliable, independent certifying body.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #90
Head Chef

Quote:
Natural News is not a credible source. The second link is broken.
I am wondering what might constitute a "credible" source to you. Are you expecting a government source to be outing Monsanto on buying up a bee research company now that Monsanto has been implicated in their pesticides causing a decline in the bee population? Surely not!

There are countless more sources of websites exposing this underhanded development.....maybe none of them would satisfy you. Can they all be lying?

Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research Firm

Blamed for Bee Collapse, Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research FirmREALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information

Tags
food