8 Foods Even The Experts Won’t Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"But Kastel counters that it’s just common sense to minimize exposure by avoiding the most doused produce, like apples."

Sometimes, common sense is not very common. You can find articles out there that claim that cooking foods in the microwave causes it to become radioactive; that's not true, either. The fact is, there are many causes of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer, primarily genetics combined with living long enough to acquire them and too many calories combined with not enough exercise. Check out the research into the Hygiene Hypothesis. It's very interesting.

Sorry, TL. To me, this just looks like another scare-mongering article.

Last edited:
This is a website with an agenda. Read the opening paragraphs in the "About Us" section.

I was delighted to find someone else reads Web articles 'from the bottom up' I always start with About Us----- many tidbits in that!

Then LinkedIn furnishes this:

[Rick Davis, the founder of eatlocalgrown, is a very busy man!]

Rick Davis' Skills & Expertise

E-commerce Social Media Marketing Analytics Email Marketing Guerrilla Marketing Profit Maximization Operational Efficiency Leverage Leadership Management Start-ups Entrepreneurship Website Development Website Promotion SEO Team Building Selling Strategy Sales Sales Operations Social Media Marketing Facebook User Experience Enterprise Software Small Business Web Design Strategic Partnerships Online Advertising Brand Development Social Networking Online Marketing
Those foods---- yeah, those are mostly true---- but perhaps Mr Davis thought that was new news. :)

And I'm with Aunt Bea------ better not come to MY house----except I definitely draw the line at microwave popcorn!

Rant coming----- Wild salmon?---- is that really safer than salmon that live in the wild? Answering my own question----- pretty sure they are, but they're not ''pure" and won't be if we don't stop polluting the ocean.

That article was marketing for the easily swayed----- and shows Mr. Davis at his best. Purportedly.

"But Kastel counters that it’s just common sense to minimize exposure by avoiding the most doused produce, like apples."

Sometimes, common sense is not very common. You can find articles out there that claim that cooking foods in the microwave causes it to become radioactive; that's not true, either. The fact is, there are many causes of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer, primarily genetics combined with living long enough to acquire them and too many calories combined with not enough exercise. Check out the research into the Hygiene Hypothesis. It's very interesting.

Sorry, TL. To me, this just looks like another scare-mongering article.
That's not common sense that's common nonsense.

Yeah, the hygiene hypothesis is interesting and I've been saying that for years. What does that have to do with these eight foods?

Scaremongering? Those foods are on that list for good reasons.

This is a website with an agenda. Read the opening paragraphs in the "About Us" section.
Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't bothered reading it. I had already dismissed the site as a bit wacko from the name of the website.

But, he sounds much more reasonable than I expected from your comment. His agenda seems to be to encourage people to buy local, healthy tasty food and support the farmers who produce. Sounds good to me.

That list summarizes what I had already researched and concluded and gave good reasons.

That's not common sense that's common nonsense.

Yeah, the hygiene hypothesis is interesting and I've been saying that for years. What does that have to do with these eight foods?

Scaremongering? Those foods are on that list for good reasons.

Correlation does not equal causation. X may be "linked with" Y, but that doesn't prove that X caused Y. Making a decision because something "seems to make sense" is not based on evidence, so it may or may not be true.

Question: Did you wake up this morning? So did I! So did your waking cause mine, or did my waking cause yours? Or are they unrelated? If they're "linked" because they both happened at the same time, what is the hypothesis that explains why?

Correlation does not equal causation. X may be "linked with" Y, but that doesn't prove that X caused Y. Making a decision because something "seems to make sense" is not based on evidence, so it may or may not be true.

Question: Did you wake up this morning? So did I! So did your waking cause mine, or did my waking cause yours? Or are they unrelated? If they're "linked" because they both happened at the same time, what is the hypothesis that explains why?
I don't understand your point. I do understand that correlation does not equal causation. Example: a town with an asbestos mine. Someone noted that the people who lived in the houses with largest TV antennas had the highest rates of cancer/lung disease. Now, how would TV antennas do that? They don't. The people with the biggest TV antennas turned out to be the guys who put in the most overtime in the mines and therefore had the most asbestos exposure.

Are you saying that, "“Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers,” he says. And increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson’s disease." doesn't prove it was caused by eating pesticides? Maybe there is no cause and effect for the higher cancer rates in farm workers. I still don't want to eat pesticides.

I don't understand your point. I do understand that correlation does not equal causation.

That is exactly my point.

Are you saying that, "“Farm workers have higher rates of many cancers,” he says. And increasing numbers of studies are starting to link a higher body burden of pesticides (from all sources) with Parkinson’s disease." doesn't prove it was caused by eating pesticides? Maybe there is no cause and effect for the higher cancer rates in farm workers. I still don't want to eat pesticides.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Farm workers in general are transients with very low wages and no health insurance (they move around depending on what crops are ripening) so I would expect them to have higher rates of all kinds of diseases.

You can eat or not eat whatever you want. Doesn't make a difference to me :) My view is that in general, people in Western societies are healthier and better fed than people have ever been before in history.

Btw, have you ever sprinkled salt on a slug? It's a pretty effective pesticide ;) People are neither pests nor fungus.

Btw, have you ever sprinkled salt on a slug? It's a pretty effective pesticide ;) People are neither pests nor fungus.

You could do the same thing to a human with enough salt. And saying humans aren't pests... you obviously haven't met enough humans :LOL:

You could do the same thing to a human with enough salt.

No, salt isn't absorbed through human skin, like it is for soft-bodied creatures. You can sit in a layer of salt and it will not kill you.

And saying humans aren't pests... you obviously haven't met enough humans :LOL:

I knew someone would say that! ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think they're first-world problems that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about. Most people in this world would be thrilled to have easy access to these foods and they would be healthier and live longer.

Check this out:

4 College Kids Decided To Try Living Like 1.1 Billion People Do Every Day
Yup, definitely first world problems, but I live in the first world. If I was hungry enough, I would eat those foods.

So, what do we do about poverty and hunger? Somehow eating food that's covered in pesticides and herbicides doesn't seem to be the answer.

Yup, definitely first world problems, but I live in the first world. If I was hungry enough, I would eat those foods.

So, what do we do about poverty and hunger? Somehow eating food that's covered in pesticides and herbicides doesn't seem to be the answer.

Well, I think a lot of those statements are overblown, there are a lot of qualifications in those little blurbs, and many the links go to other pages on the same site, so I just don't find it very credible.

For example, bovine growth hormone is broken down by stomach acids so it is not absorbed into the body so it has no effect on humans. Research into using BGH on humans with dwarfism showed no effect. That's why diabetics need to inject insulin, another hormone. If they took it as a pill, it would be broken down and be ineffective.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/FN-250_6.pdf

Regarding poverty and hunger, we each do what we can. When I was working, I donated to the medical school which provides free medical care to the poor and sends students to places like Haiti and central America to provide free health care. Now I volunteer with the master gardeners who grew and donated over 1,000 pounds of fresh vegetables to the local food bank last summer and we sponsor a Junior Master Gardeners program, among several others, that teaches schoolchildren about growing their own food and other plants.

I also think sites like that unnecessarily make poor and middle-class people feel bad about their food choices and may cause some to spend beyond their means for food that isn't necessarily a huge improvement. If people have the money to spend $15 for a single free-range chicken or $18/pound for wild salmon, hey, go for it. Most people can't afford it and I think it's wrong to tell them they're eating crap when fresh apples and fish and milk are healthful options.

Last edited:
8 Foods Even The Experts Won

We already don't eat most of those foods, for the same reasons. I am looking to change to grass fed beef.
I eat locally "grown" grass fed beef because it tastes better than the other stuff.

However, there is a welfare issue involved with only feeding cattle on grass. The nutritional content of grass varies throughout the year for various reasons and in temperate climates (as in Britain) and areas with cold winters (as in many parts of America) it stops growing completely at 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). This means that for cattle to thrive and build muscle (to make good meat) they must be fed supplementary cereals and hay in winter. The best farmers feed non-GM feed and organic cereals but you have to ask to be sure.

You can't live your life fearing everything, but you sure as heck can make informed decisions. Banned ingredients that are still legal in the US. And nearly all of the big name (fake) food producers use completely different ingredients for what they sell in other countries and save the toxic stuff for the US - because profit > health. It saddens me that our FDA is complicit right alongside them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom