8 Foods Even The Experts Won’t Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I eat locally "grown" grass fed beef because it tastes better than the other stuff.

However, there is a welfare issue involved with only feeding cattle on grass. The nutritional content of grass varies throughout the year for various reasons and in temperate climates (as in Britain) and areas with cold winters (as in many parts of America) it stops growing completely at 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). This means that for cattle to thrive and build muscle (to make good meat) they must be fed supplementary cereals and hay in winter. The best farmers feed non-GM feed and organic cereals but you have to ask to be sure.

Well yeah, mostly it won't be fresh grass in winter, especially in Québec.

I saw a documentary about a British farmer who pastured his cows in winter. He had been working on getting the right combination of grasses to make it possible for about 20 years. He has it figured out for his farm.

Last edited:
Canned tomato's?

I could not live without canned tomato's.

Silly list and silly people who make them.

Next week it will be a new list and all these things in this list become good for you.

Canned tomato's?

I could not live without canned tomato's.

Silly list and silly people who make them.

Next week it will be a new list and all these things in this list become good for you.

Sure, BPA will suddenly become good for you. But, I expect canned tomatoes to go on the "good list"in the not too distant future - when manufacturers find a cheap substitute for lining tomato cans. Jarred tomatoes are fine. I haven't found jarred tomatoes, so I use passata, which is sold in a glass bottle and fresh tomatoes.

It all comes down to finances. Farm fresh always cost more.

Sure I would love to eat the veggies I had as a kid on the farm. I do remember my mother always washing any veggies she brought in from the garden. Yet as kids do, we would pick beans, peas, tomatoes and any other that we wanted. And we didn't wash them off first. I am still alive. Most of those foods on the list I don't eat anyway. And I still wash every piece of produce that comes into my home. I don't need experts to tell me how to take care of the foods I choose to eat. :angel:

I miss the local farm that sold grass fed beef, oddly the couple who owned the farm were vegetarian. My dad raised a few head of cattle over the years, he would buy hay to feed during the winter with a sprinkling of grain on top. Truly was some of the best beef I have ever had.

If we listened to and acted on all the information about food that is bad for us we'd die of starvation.

Don't these people wash their veggies? I was taught to wash veg in salt and water or vinegar and water and rinse them in cold running water before cooking and/or eating.

If we listened to and acted on all the information about food that is bad for us we'd die of starvation.

Don't these people wash their veggies? I was taught to wash veg in salt and water or vinegar and water and rinse them in cold running water before cooking and/or eating.
Washing veg is one thing, but when there have been numerous reported outbreaks 'of foodborne illnesses' from having eaten beansprouts...I for one take note! Would washing the beansprouts rid of the bacteria? Is it that simple? The advice is to cook them which depletes the beansprouts nutritionally.

Last edited:
Washing veg is one thing, but when there have been numerous reported outbreaks 'of foodborne illnesses' from having eaten beansprouts...I for one take note! Would washing the beansprouts rid of the bacteria? Is it that simple? The advice is to cook them which depletes the beansprouts nutritionally.
To be honest I don't eat bean sprouts apart from the rare occasions I have Chinese. There are more exciting vegetables.

To be honest I don't eat bean sprouts apart from the rare occasions I have Chinese. There are more exciting vegetables.
Yes, I agree! I use to sprout them myself (for their proclaimed high nutritional value) but that was before I knew about them being susceptible to bacteria. I think they are unappetising when cooked (just about tolerable in a chow mein) and - to be frank - quite insipid raw.

Washing bean sprouts will not remove any bacteria. I'm bummed about it because fresh sprouts add a nice crunch to Vietnamese soups and salads.

They could irradiate them. I just worry that the producers will be even less careful with cleanliness if they know all the micro-organisms will be irradiated to death.

Well, I'm certainly not going to stop eating bean sprouts. I've enjoyed them, both raw and cooked, my entire life. And to the best of my knowledge, I've never suffered any ill effects.

The fact is, ANY food that's considered high in nutrition is fair game for bacteria. Does that mean we should all just stop eating nutritious food?

Last edited:
Well, I'm certainly not going to stop eating bean sprouts. I've enjoyed them, both raw and cooked, my entire life. And to the best of my knowledge, I've never suffered any ill effects.

The fact is, ANY food that's considered high in nutrition is fair game for bacteria. Does that mean we should all just stop eating nutritious food?
Can you explain how you arrive at this conclusion? Pomegranates - for instance - are high in antioxidants and are not susceptible to bacteria, i.e. do not have a link to numerous cases of illness, as has been the case with beansprouts.

Last edited:
That is a manufactured product i.e. not the fruit itself in its natural fresh state. I see this product had to be recalled so it was an error in the production and not attributable to the fresh pomegranate. I live in UK so have never heard of this product, i.e. we don't get that here.

So...can you give me any better examples of foods high in nutrition having bacteria enough to be linked with illnesses (not manufactured products)?

Last edited:
I eat raw sprouts, of all kinds, almost every single day. No problems. I buy from one trusted source. Love them on my sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom