"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

A Plea for Culinary Modernism: Why We Should Love New, Fast, Processed Food

A Plea for Culinary Modernism, by Rachel Laudan, PhD, food historian.

Discuss.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for sharing that, GG!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Interesting history perspective. I hope she doesn't think I'm a Luddite because I want my food to be made of food.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't think you would be considered a Luddite, you don't grind your own flour. You order out at your convenience, you just pick the healthier alternatives.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Interesting history perspective. I hope she doesn't think I'm a Luddite because I want my food to be made of food.
I hear ya! I know, my kids think I am behind the times. But they never fail to ask for that apple pie when then drop off their apples that they picked themselves.

I am one of those cooks who enjoy their time in the kitchen. Always have. Sure, when the kids were small, foods of convenience could be found in my pantry. But I knew if I started early enough in the afternoon, I could sit watching the soaps while shelling peas, or snapping green beans. But I also had frozen and canned ones on hand for those days when I started late. Baked mac n cheese? Always made from scratch. My kids did not like the boxed stuff. Can't say that I blame them. Yeah, my family like food made from real food. Not chemicals.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have nothing against convenience food, as long as it's made of food. We have some Indian curries that just need to be heated. They are made of food and nothing else. Love 'em.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have nothing against convenience food, as long as it's made of food. We have some Indian curries that just need to be heated. They are made of food and nothing else. Love 'em.
If I can find it in the refrigerator section of the supermarket, I can be pretty sure there are fewer chemicals or preservatives in the food. Foods like cream cheese, salsa, milk, cheeses, etc. Meats are a different story. I do buy canned sliced beets and petite peas. The only thing added is salt. (I hate unsalted canned veggies!) Ice cold from being in the fridge, drained, mixed together and some Hidden Valley dressing, and I have a great healthy snack. I do have some Wheat Thins, and other snack foods of the like. But I still have one box that I have yet to open. I bought it in July. I am not one to snack on carbs. But the snacks I do choose again, have very little chemicals. I presently have a box of Cheerios. I pour them in a bowl and eat them dry.

Like you said, "I want to eat food!"
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

I guess I have a foot firmly planted in each camp.

I think that we have gone through the better living through science phase and now we have sufficient information to grow, harvest, deliver and if necessary preserve foods in as close to a natural state as possible. Now it is time to start raising the ethical standards of the world's food producers and processors. We also need to make a shift in our own priorities as consumers, nutritious food and clean water should be more of a priority than a 60 inch flat screen television or a pair of designer jeans. We need to put the quality and safety of our food supply ahead of price. I think over time the increased costs for food would be offset by lower costs in healthcare. These things always seem to take at least a generation to make a real change. Look at the simple changes we have seen in our own lifetime, things like seat belts, helmets for bicyclists, ending smoking etc...

I'm done rambling and ranting, for now!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Slowly, but surely we are getting there Aunt Bea. Look at all the rivers we have cleaned up. Companies can no long just dump their waste material any place they choose to. We have learned about runoff of pesticides from farmlands into rivers. More and more farmers are turning to organic farming. Now if we could just get the beef industry to stop feeding corn and grain to the cattle, then we would have healthier animals for our meals.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I for one think that it is a good thing that people are beginning to connect to their food again, being educated about what's in it.

I have a friend that is a bit of a food snob, she buys all of her meat from whole foods, spends $30 on a single chicken from a local producer etc.. She preaches how much better her choices are, but never fails to mention that she's a stay at home mom with a wife making a six figure income. I think that it is great that they can do this and easily afford it, but the attitude that everyone can and should shop like her is a bit off putting.

I worked with a lady that was in her late 50's and the thought of organic food disgusted her, she actually told me that she's rather eat food made with chemical fertilizer than poop... She's from the "better living through science generation". That's OK, but it shows how disconnected an entire generation has become from food.

Yes I do buy some processed foods, I have fairly strict criteria on what I'll buy and as others have said, they must contain only food. I don't have the time to make everything, I really don't know anyone who does. I don't have the grocery budget to get everything free range, local, organic, etc. I really try to make the best choice within my budget. I think that I actually do a lot better than a lot of people.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast, food