"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That study is based on Ayurvedic medicine. Another link I read when googling said that Ayurvedic medicine practitioners think ulcers are caused by stress and eating spicy food. That was debunked a long time ago.
agreed, there is just as much junk science on .gov sites as there is anywhere else. Cherry picking studies is not the same as having a sound background in the health sciences.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

When I worked at Wyeth, there were trials that were on their third round and more than ten years old. And they still hadn't reached a consensus. Six months and 20 patients is hardly a study to take seriously.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Lemon juice and baking soda into a paste makes a great way to whiten teeth.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interesting. This seems counter-intuitive. Heartburn is caused by excess stomach acid. Lemon adds more acid. I'm glad it works for you but I don't understand it.
Alone, lemon juice is acidic, just like every other citrus fruit.

When lemon juice is broken down during the digestive & metabolic process, it becomes alkaline.

If the lemon juice tastes very strong, you're likely acidic overall; if it has an enjoyable, mild flavor then you lean towards the alkaline side.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Also read at:

The Detox Scam: How to spot it, and how to avoid it « Science-Based Medicine
Old 05-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Lemon juice and baking soda into a paste makes a great way to whiten teeth.
Probably---- but be careful if the gums have migrated south a little. (Which can happen for many reasons and for all ages.)

Then the cementum that covers the root of the tooth is exposed and it's more susceptible to lemon juice causing decay. The enamel (the white 'stuff' ) can also be susceptible but not by the same degree.

If a person uses lemon juice and baking soda then be sure to rinse THOROUGHLY and floss afterwards. That can help prevent decay because the lemon juice won't be staying on the teeth as long.

Also---- if a person's teeth are turning slightly yellow-ish as they age that's a normal process for the enamel often becomes thinner with age which then lets the yellow-ish color of the cementum show through. No amount of whiteners will change that.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Alone, lemon juice is acidic, just like every other citrus fruit.

When lemon juice is broken down during the digestive & metabolic process, it becomes alkaline.

If the lemon juice tastes very strong, you're likely acidic overall; if it has an enjoyable, mild flavor then you lean towards the alkaline side.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5070023AAA4pPQ

" Fortunately, your body has three major mechanisms at work at all times to prevent these forces from shifting the pH of your blood outside of the 7.35 to 7.45 range.

These mechanisms are:

Buffer Systems "

Carbonic Acid-Bicarbonate Buffer System
Protein Buffer System
Phosphate Buffer System
Exhalation of Carbon Dioxide
Elimination of Hydrogen Ions via Kidneys "

Unless a person has a disease or condition that disrupts 'things' in the body these are working constantly.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Another good one
Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
That study is based on Ayurvedic medicine. Another link I read when googling said that Ayurvedic medicine practitioners think ulcers are caused by stress and eating spicy food. That was debunked a long time ago.
My gastric reflux is definitely worse when I'm stressed and breaks through my meds (usually at about 4 in the morning!)

When hard pressed by the GF and nothing else is working I resort to porridge/oatmeal - very soothing.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Probably---- but be careful if the gums have migrated south a little. (Which can happen for many reasons and for all ages.)

Then the cementum that covers the root of the tooth is exposed and it's more susceptible to lemon juice causing decay. The enamel (the white 'stuff' ) can also be susceptible but not by the same degree.

If a person uses lemon juice and baking soda then be sure to rinse THOROUGHLY and floss afterwards. That can help prevent decay because the lemon juice won't be staying on the teeth as long.

Also---- if a person's teeth are turning slightly yellow-ish as they age that's a normal process for the enamel often becomes thinner with age which then lets the yellow-ish color of the cementum show through. No amount of whiteners will change that.
My grandmother told me that her grandparents used soot to clean their teeth. Never very sure whether to believe her!