"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Acidity/Alkalinity in our Diet

Lemon juice in water (no sugar) for heart burn or digestive problems. -Works for me, but not all people.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakz View Post
Lemon juice in water (no sugar) for heart burn or digestive problems. -Works for me, but not all people.

Interesting. This seems counter-intuitive. Heartburn is caused by excess stomach acid. Lemon adds more acid. I'm glad it works for you but I don't understand it.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It's more complicated than that. There are good digestive acids (like hydrochloric) and waste recycled foaming acids. There are different reasons for heartburn.

I get tired of the same solution over and over, and not all are always available, so I have come up with multiple ways to ease the burn (usually caused by eating a grain product): Romaine lettuce, cayenne pepper, kale (I dehydrated it in the oven to preserve it), or lemon juice and water if not just plain water.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I heard you should put a lemon rind under your tomatoes when you transplant them. There is some logic to this as tomatoes prefer acidic soil.

The acidity of the lemon is in the juice, not the rind, so this doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Also heard lemon "detoxifies" your liver, blood, etc. I'm always a bit skeptical about anything that detoxifies an organ. I mean, how does that work exactly? Everything I eat goes in my belly, the organs secrete their stuff and after my food is digested and broken down into its component bits everything gets something back. Detoxifying implies that "bad things" are removed and I'm not sure how that could work. Changing the pH in your kidneys, bladder etc makes sense, but the rest mystifies me. Anyone with some knowledge want to pitch in on that one?
I have serious digestive issues and have discussed these ideas extensively with my GI doctor over the years. If you're in good general health, the body cleanses and detoxifies itself. That's what the liver, kidneys and lymph system do. If you have liver or kidney disease, then you have more to worry about, but lemon juice isn't the solution.

For some fun reading: http://www.skepdic.com/detox.html
Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakz View Post
What kind of digestive problems? And what causes heartburn that is helped by lemon juice?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've read that it removes chlorine from water; I know it does help with taste.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It cannot "remove" the chlorine, it can only change it in a chemical reaction. The elements/chemicals are still in the water, just changed into something more palatable.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Forgot to add: almonds help with acid also.

Comparison of two purification products of shankha bhasma: A prospective randomized control trial

'Purification of shankha bhasma by lemon juice method is better than sour gruel method in terms of clinical outcome in GERD patients and is hence recommended.'
Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, the study does use lemon juice and it does it's job by a chemical reaction, it does not say it "removes" chlorine.

80 subjects is not a big enough sample to establish efficacy of this treatment. 6 months is not long enough, either.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, the study does use lemon juice and it does it's job by a chemical reaction, it does not say it "removes" chlorine.

80 subjects is not a big enough sample to establish efficacy of this treatment. 6 months is not long enough, either.
That study is based on Ayurvedic medicine. Another link I read when googling said that Ayurvedic medicine practitioners think ulcers are caused by stress and eating spicy food. That was debunked a long time ago.