Alcohol Nutrition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we only liked stuff that was good for us? I've gone through chocolate poisoning with a dog and wondered why someone up there made it so that my dogs love chocolate and would steal mine (I hide it now way above their abilitity to climb) and why I like alcohol. It would be great if we didn't. And yes, there are some health benefits to alcohol, in moderation. Unfortunately, moderation is NOT my middle name!

Keltin, I read a long time ago, that we cannot store the calories from alcohol, so we burn them and store the calories from our food instead. That's why I could always drink my beer and still lose weight. But I never knew WHY. Thank you for the explanation!

One thing that hasn't been discussed here is that alcohol is one of the best pain relievers there is. Sure, it's hard on the liver, but tell me that the opium derivatives are not. I remember at one point, my addicted son-in-law's liver shut down completely from eating so many vicodins and perkasettes.

I deal with chronic pain from scholiosis, arthritis, degenerative disc disease and neuropathy, and the pain is especially bad in the evenings. I've found that a small glass of brandy, in addition to my beer, knocks the pain enough for me to get up and move around a little so I can help my husband fix supper, and/or entertain friends.
I was told recently by a doctor (neurologist) that four beers a day was enough to classify me as an alcoholic. (I knew better than to tell him about the brandy.) I told him I didn't care about classifications, that my lifestyle works for me, and that's what matters.

hmmm. I dont think that would be necessary. Yes, people are conscious on what they eat and drink so they put calorie contents at the back. But just think of it, would they even bother to look at the back of a beer bottle just to see its calorie content?

Hey ,
It is not so healthy drink if you given data is correct,is it?

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I may be repeating some things.

I do find that when I drink I gain weight, especially if I exceed the amount of alcohol in 2 beers per day. When I get into my whiskey (especially Canadian) I tend to drink more. I have been told that this is largely due to the fact that alcohol slows down the metabolism, which means the body burns fewer calories at rest. If weight is your main health concern regarding alcohol, then you can combat that by a) maintaining decent muscle mass, and b) eating foods that increase your metabolism.

However, as I am sure many have pointed out, moderation is the key.

...I have been told that this is largely due to the fact that alcohol slows down the metabolism, which means the body burns fewer calories at rest...

Not to mention there are calories in the booze and potentially in what up mix it with.

The DW and I just went over this last night. If you want a wake-up call, pour your regular consumption amount of wine (or whatever) into a measuring cup. :huh:

We came up with...(ahem)...450 calories a night.:ermm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom