"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #41
Master Chef

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we only liked stuff that was good for us? I've gone through chocolate poisoning with a dog and wondered why someone up there made it so that my dogs love chocolate and would steal mine (I hide it now way above their abilitity to climb) and why I like alcohol. It would be great if we didn't. And yes, there are some health benefits to alcohol, in moderation. Unfortunately, moderation is NOT my middle name!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #42
Master Chef

Keltin, I read a long time ago, that we cannot store the calories from alcohol, so we burn them and store the calories from our food instead. That's why I could always drink my beer and still lose weight. But I never knew WHY. Thank you for the explanation!

One thing that hasn't been discussed here is that alcohol is one of the best pain relievers there is. Sure, it's hard on the liver, but tell me that the opium derivatives are not. I remember at one point, my addicted son-in-law's liver shut down completely from eating so many vicodins and perkasettes.

I deal with chronic pain from scholiosis, arthritis, degenerative disc disease and neuropathy, and the pain is especially bad in the evenings. I've found that a small glass of brandy, in addition to my beer, knocks the pain enough for me to get up and move around a little so I can help my husband fix supper, and/or entertain friends.
I was told recently by a doctor (neurologist) that four beers a day was enough to classify me as an alcoholic. (I knew better than to tell him about the brandy.) I told him I didn't care about classifications, that my lifestyle works for me, and that's what matters.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

hmmm. I dont think that would be necessary. Yes, people are conscious on what they eat and drink so they put calorie contents at the back. But just think of it, would they even bother to look at the back of a beer bottle just to see its calorie content?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

Hey ,
It is not so healthy drink if you given data is correct,is it?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I may be repeating some things.

I do find that when I drink I gain weight, especially if I exceed the amount of alcohol in 2 beers per day. When I get into my whiskey (especially Canadian) I tend to drink more. I have been told that this is largely due to the fact that alcohol slows down the metabolism, which means the body burns fewer calories at rest. If weight is your main health concern regarding alcohol, then you can combat that by a) maintaining decent muscle mass, and b) eating foods that increase your metabolism.

However, as I am sure many have pointed out, moderation is the key.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
...I have been told that this is largely due to the fact that alcohol slows down the metabolism, which means the body burns fewer calories at rest...

Not to mention there are calories in the booze and potentially in what up mix it with.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #47
Executive Chef

The DW and I just went over this last night. If you want a wake-up call, pour your regular consumption amount of wine (or whatever) into a measuring cup.

We came up with...(ahem)...450 calories a night.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #48
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Vodka and Whiskey, 86 calories, diet coke 0= 2 drinks@172cal.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Vodka and Whiskey, 86 calories, diet coke 0= 2 drinks@172cal.

That would make my Crown Royal on the rocks = 193 calories for a 3 ounce drink.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #50
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would prefer that, over a wine any day!