"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #31
Cook

In a way I guess I was lucky. My folks ran a bar, neither one were alcoholics. I used to clean up and restock the bar before going to school. We had a couple of old guys come at 6:30 am every morning to have a shot or two to start the day. They would have me put it in a shot glass so they wouldn't spill it before they got the first one down. I never forgot that and that was a long time ago.

I agree with everyone that this is a personal choice. Qutting alchohol is like quitting cigarettes. It's rough, but it really does boil down to "Just Say No!" No one, nor any organization can do it for you. It's your choice and your personal victory when you beat it.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Woweeeeeeeee! Four days now.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
Woweeeeeeeee! Four days now.
I cannot send you Karma, but just pretend you've got it from me Four days is a great achievement! I am proud of you, that takes alot of willpower
Old 08-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I cannot send you Karma, but just pretend you've got it from me Four days is a great achievement! I am proud of you, that takes alot of willpower
Thankyou. Your Pms help too. I am loosing weight,my apetite has improved,got more energy,read a book,and am in a much better mood.I am very excited about this.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
I don't have time right now to go into this but I must say as an Alcoholic with 38 years of drinking experience and going to AA and in more than one program an Alcoholic MUST want get sober and remain sober or he will not remain sober. He must take responsibility for his sobriety the same way anyone takes responsibility of his treatment for any other illness.
You're absolutely right. I have several family members who have or have had serious alcohol problems, and much as I'd love to have taken away their problems, I can't. And I won't knock AA or any other program, because what works for one, may not work for another. Sadly, I also think that there are some who can lick their addiction and some who are not strong enough. At the heart of the matter, however, is Bangbang's observation that the individual must want it. Even at that, it's a hard road to travel. I'm a former smoker, and understand addiction in that way. Thank goodness, that was the extent of my life as an addict.

BC
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Go purchase 6 packs of smokes and force yourself to smoke them all.....place all the butts in one container. You will see how nasty the habit is. Well.....I started smokin premium hand madeimported cigars. Ighhhh
Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Go purchase 6 packs of smokes and force yourself to smoke them all.....place all the butts in one container. You will see how nasty the habit is. Well.....I started smokin premium hand madeimported cigars. Ighhhh
I'm a FORMER smoker, not a smoker. And as nasty as the cigarette habit may be, the drink habit is as well. There's little that is as distasteful as the smell of stale alcohol on someone.

BC
Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I'm still helping my friend, giving him encouragement and understanding.

We went out yesterday evening with his girlfriend. A very dear friend of mine
whom I've known for six years gave us all a ride to a seafood restaurant where we had dinner.

"Daquan" (not his real name) started getting a little dunk after having only two beers and two drinks of vodka and orange juice (vodka is his and his girlfiend's favorite liquor). Bad mistake!! But his girlfriend stayed sober. She held up fine! My friend of six years decided that also. He suggested that the next time we go out and Daquan and his grirlfriend come along, that we go to a restaurant where there are no alcoholic beaverages sold. That way, Daquan will stay sober and won't have access to anything containing alcohol - at least not until he and his girlfriend get home.

After my other friend dropped us off in front of my apartment building, as soon as we all got out of the car, Daquan starts in on me - accusing me of trying to come between him and his girlfriend!! He also badmouthed me for "stealing" some of his drinks, but I only did that because the rest of us felt that he had enough alcohol to drink and I was looking out for him to keep him from becoming too intoxicated. And I told him this. We argued all the way back to their apartment!!

I didn't want to get into that with him, so as we got closer to their building, I told him that hew disappointed me by getting drunk after he said that he wouldn't. He was really acting like Frankenstein, laying the badmoputh on me!! I knew deep down, that he really didn't mean all that.

But I really lit into him for the way that he was talking to me - especially since I've done nothing but try to help him the whole time. I grabbed him, shook him, and said to him; " Look at me! This is not you!! You're not thinking right and your mind isn't acting right right now!!" Daquan put up a mental block and wouldn't listen to me!

I went up to their apartment with them, sat down and cried out loud for nearly an hour!! Mainly because this is pretty much what I went through with my brother who died in '04, and I feared the worst for Daquan. He really went over the line!!

Later last night, Daquan had came over to me, placed his arms around me, hugged me, kised me on the forehead and deeply apologized to me for treating me so badly just hours before.I immediately forgave him for the dispicable behavior that he threw at me, hugged him back and kissed him on his forehead.

I later realized and knew the whole time, that he really didn't really mean those bad things he said to me, and that it was just his drinking that had temporaily poisoned his mind.

I'm still very much there for him, but only HE can make the choice between trying to get help or not. I still love him very deeply like a brother and care very much about him, but only HE must make the choice. I can only encourage him to see the light.

I still hug and hold him in my arms to try to console him in his times of need, but you guys are right - HE MUST make the choice. So, I'll still be there for him, but I'm very far from giving up on him. I'll still share good times with him and be there for him through thick and thin.

~Corey123.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I can't wait to go to the doc to see howmuch weight I have lost. I am giving it two weeks before weighing in.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #40
Executive Chef

I've lost 20 pounds, so far!

~Corey123.