"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
Master Chef

I make a dish similar to the Braised Lamb Shanks With White Beans, but subbing turkey drumsticks for the lamb shanks. Doesn't take as long to cook, obviously, but is just as delicious.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Fennel one caught my eyes... I bet that would be good with pork roast. Is it dinner time yet? :)

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #23
Master Chef

To cook most dried beans, I simply rinse the dried beans with cold water to remove any unwanted foreign particles, then throw them in a pot, cover with water to about 2 inches water above the beans, and bring to a boil. An hour or so later, they are soft. You can add salt before they are soft, but as has been stated by so many, no acidic ingredients as it will prevent them from softening.

I don't understand the idea of pre-boiling then resting the beans for twenty minutes. I have found that it really doesn't shorten the overall cooking time significantly. The long cooking times really don't come into play unless you are making something like baked beans, where the beans need to absorb flavors from mollases, brown sugar, smokey pork (ham, bacon, ham hoks, etc), tomato, onions, etc.

In addition to the stated kidney beans, dried lima and butter beans need to be boiled to dissolve cyanide into the water and steam it out into the air. It isn't such a problem here in the U.S., as the beans have been bred to reduce the cyanide content. but in many other countries, you can die from eating improperly cooked lima beans.

That being said, don't think of beans only in a savory mode. After they are softened, you can add ingredients such as various sugars, corn syrup, maple syrup, etc. I even had a bean pie once where you couldn't destinguish between it and pumpkin pie. I never have found the recipe though. So, beans are an extremely versatile ingredient. Explore that versatility. They are also highly nutritious, and a great food for diabetics. Also, try mixing up various beans into three bean salads. Don't just use the standard wax, and grean beans mixed with garbanzo beans (chik peas). Add mung means, lentils, and other legumes to the salad. Mix beans in with pastas and salads. Add some cooked kidney beans into your next batch of sloppy joes. The possibilities are endless.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Master Chef

Also, dumping your soaking water helps cut down on gas
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by machx View Post
Does anyone have favorites for dried beans? found these Anasazi beans on amazon and they are highly rated but I never heard of Anasazi before!
I generally buy Goya brand beans, because they look fresher than the others in the market.

I'm getting ready to order some Heirloom beans, tho. I am afraid they will cost enough to negate beans as a "cheap" meal, tho.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #26
Master Chef

Its important to buy dry beans that aren't old. So you want to buy from a place with high turnover. I recommend a health food store for that. Or, like June suggests, Goya, as they are a reputable brand that usually has good turnover.

Regarding heirloom beans, I would suggest buying from a reputable producer rather than from a 3rd party like Amazon. They can get pricey (again, like June sez) but if you are really into beans, very worth it. Do homework re: heirlooms
Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I make a dish similar to the Braised Lamb Shanks With White Beans, but subbing turkey drumsticks for the lamb shanks. Doesn't take as long to cook, obviously, but is just as delicious.
Oh my, that does sound like a tasty idea. and maybe not quite as expensive as the lamb, besides being quicker.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
Head Chef

IMHO, the health store brands are no better than the store brands despite supposedly being "organic" and "pesticide free" -- they're just more expensive.

In any case, they're all open dated -- just check the package when you buy and make sure the one you select has plenty of time left.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
IMHO, the health store brands are no better than the store brands despite supposedly being "organic" and "pesticide free" -- they're just more expensive.

In any case, they're all open dated -- just check the package when you buy and make sure the one you select has plenty of time left.
My point was that health food store brands turn over faster that supermarket brands. Which is almost always true. I said nothing about being healthier.

As far as being more expensive, that depends on where you shop. And paying a little bit more can often be preferable to having a disasterous result with old beans.

Not all beans are dated, by the way.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Bean Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by machx View Post
I am trying to avoid using canned beans or chickpeas, because of the BPA content of the cans.

Has anyone found a good alternative to canned beans or chickpeas? Dried beans sounds like a possibility... I've never seen jarred beans or chickpeas though..

Thanks!
Hey machx, this is right up my alley! I love cooking with dried beans... like others have said, it takes a little more time and they work best when soaked overnight... but in the end the results are definitely worth the wait. Last week I made a huge batch of Great Northern beans in a tomato, basil, and garlic sauce and it was delicious.
If you are looking for a really easy recipe with dried beans, please check out the video recipe in my signature and let me know what you think!