"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #31
Head Chef

Best place to buy beans if you live in a large city is ethnic stores. Mexican, Indian, Middle eastern etc. The cost is low, produce is good and because of high turnover you know the beans are not old.

I buy atleast 8-10 different variety of beans and they are gone in no time because we use many many different types of beans in Indian cooking. I can buy a pretty large bag of moong beans or lentils for 5 bucks.

If you are speed demon (and I am just like you ), soak the beans overnight. That does not take time. In the morning dump the water out and put fresh water and cook them in a regular pot or pressure cooker. A regular pot works just fine. It takes a little longer but you have more control over the end texture of the bean.

I also use Goodweed's method especially with dried peas. We make a delicious chaat (sweet and sour snack) and peas tender quickly using this method.

Once you use dried beans (the good kind), it's hard to go back to canned products.

BTW if you did not there are also black chickpeas and green ones that are used heavily in Indian cooking. I use black over the white variety any day. They are nuttier and more delicious. The green ones are not easily found. Sometimes I find them frozen in my Fresh Farm market. If you are adventurous give them a try.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
Head Chef

I took up the BPA issue with someone versed on the topic. Seems that although there seems to be a public uprising undocumented by facts against BPA in cans and canning foods, a type of epoxy used in canning, the FDA is clear, this is safe. Most cans, even with home canning, there has to be something to seal the cans. So home canners beware as well, where did you get your canning lids from? If anyone has information with parts per million, or even parts per billion or parts per trillion to atest to 'some' amount being unhealthful, please post it. It's not that I believe everything I read on the internet, but, if you have a good source for your information, then please post it. University study? A study not sponsored by a food producer. A study from the AMA?
Does ANYONE have a food canning company, or a can company that does not use BPA and has come up with a better alternative, please let me know. Without hearing from you, I doubt that one exists. Anyone?
TIA~bliss
PS. I can my own, freeze them sometimes after cooking dry, and wouldn't hesitate to use canned beans.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I grow my own beans and do my own canning, so I would think that is a viable alternative for me, anyway. Not many people have the opportunity to grow their own and can their own, so I would guess that dried beans would be the way to go here. Also, at the supermarket, you can find fresh beans in the produce department, but sometimes the supply and choices are limited.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinny View Post
I grow my own beans and do my own canning, so I would think that is a viable alternative for me, anyway. Not many people have the opportunity to grow their own and can their own, so I would guess that dried beans would be the way to go here. Also, at the supermarket, you can find fresh beans in the produce department, but sometimes the supply and choices are limited.
What kind do you grow? What kinds do you find fresh in the supermarket?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #35
Master Chef

Around here we can sometimes get fresh black-eye peas (especially around New Year's), as well as fresh Fava beans in the spring.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I took up the BPA issue with someone versed on the topic. Seems that although there seems to be a public uprising undocumented by facts against BPA in cans and canning foods, a type of epoxy used in canning, the FDA is clear, this is safe. Most cans, even with home canning, there has to be something to seal the cans. So home canners beware as well, where did you get your canning lids from? If anyone has information with parts per million, or even parts per billion or parts per trillion to atest to 'some' amount being unhealthful, please post it. It's not that I believe everything I read on the internet, but, if you have a good source for your information, then please post it. University study? A study not sponsored by a food producer. A study from the AMA?
Does ANYONE have a food canning company, or a can company that does not use BPA and has come up with a better alternative, please let me know. Without hearing from you, I doubt that one exists. Anyone?
TIA~bliss

PS. I can my own, freeze them sometimes after cooking dry, and wouldn't hesitate to use canned beans.
where is Michael in Ft Worth when you need him??? He usually shares a lot of research with us
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Around here we can sometimes get fresh black-eye peas (especially around New Year's), as well as fresh Fava beans in the spring.
Fava beans are awesome! Lupini beans are great too, those are usually jarred
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
Master Chef

RE: BPA

BPA (Bisphenol A) is used in making hard/rigid plastics like polycarbonate and PVC - and in the making of food can linings. Home canning lids use a rubber compound - I can't find that any of them contain any BPA. For those who want a link to enough reseach to keep you out of the bars for several nights: Bisphenol A on Wikipedia.

It's not just "tinned beans" - it's pracically all canned foods, including those healthy "organic" brands. The only store that claims products labeled under their store label do not contain BPA in their can liners is Trader Joe's. If that is true then perhaps there is an alternative for food can liners that do not contain BPA. Unfortunately, there is some debate about that claim ... read here.

And, please, stop trashing the FDA as if they are the only uncaring agency in the world that doesn't care if their populace is poisoned ... other countries have also come to the same conclusions. You also have to realize that research is not always definitive - it can be skewed to prove a point by the methodology. As it stands right now, I'm more concerned about the toxins I inhale from the air every day than BPA contamination from my canned foods. Oh, yeah - BPA is also an environmental containant - so you don't just get it from eating canned foods.

RE: Anasazi beans

I love them! When I lived in Golden, CO we had one grocery store (Safeway) and they had them on the shelf with the other dried beans - nothing special or exotic. They also had a brand of canned beans I haven't found since I got back to TX. They make a great bowl of beans to serve with cornbread - and were great to make refried beans to mix with leftover buffalo chili to make burritos.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

thank you, Michael, for once again looking stuff up for lazy folks like me and 'splaining it all very clearly. I agree 100 percent with your final point and would add another Mark Twain truism: "There are lies, dam#ed lies, and statistics."