"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks for the answers everyone....

Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
Yes, that's what comes to mind, but it's a bit hard when I'm away from home. I won't eat at restaurants, other people's houses or at work etc. I'm very serious about this..
So where do you eat when you're away from home? Do you bring food with you? If so, I suppose you could buy canned potatoes, beans, peas, etc., or maybe instant mashed potatoes.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I guess potato is easiest way to replace grains and rice, but try buckwheat- taste good and very healthy.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I think potato, white rice, refined wheat are all nutritional deserts - and contribute
to the US Diabetes problem - go whole grain whenever possible.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
I think potato, white rice, refined wheat are all nutritional deserts - and contribute
to the US Diabetes problem - go whole grain whenever possible.
But the subject of the thread is how to AVOID grains; eating whole grains wouldn't solve the original poster's problem.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I used to eat a lot of pasta and I recently cut my pasta and other starches out of my diet and I have to tell you that spaghetti squash has been my saving grace. The texture is just like spaghetti and the flavors are wonderful. It's very easy to make and it's perfect with thick meaty sauces as well as most cream/butter based sauces.

gnochi (sp) is wonderful too is you can have potatoes which is sounds like you can. Grits and polenta are wonderful gluten free options too (also super easy to make)
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
But the subject of the thread is how to AVOID grains; eating whole grains wouldn't solve the original poster's problem.
Quinoa, Buckwheat, Wild Rice and Millet are all whole 'grains'
with no gluten - potato is certainly not a grain.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
This may sound weird, but I suspect that I have gluten intolerance or rice intolerance. I have decided to stop eating both grains and rice in the next two months to see if I'll feel better..

I have breathing difficulties and shortness of breath and many other symptoms typical of gluten intolerance (celiac disease). If I continue to feel miserable after two months of not eating grains, I will ask my doctor for a test...
Hi, Argamemnon. Breathing difficulties and shortness of breath are not the first symptoms that come to mind when you look at symptoms of celiac disease; if that's your problem, you're much more likely to have digestive system problems like gas, abdominal pain and distention, and constipation or diarrhea: Celiac Disease

Breathing difficulties and shortness of breath suggest to me conditions like emphysema, bronchitis, or congestive heart failure. Rather than try to diagnose and treat yourself, and perhaps allow your condition to worsen, I would see a doctor right away, describe your symptoms and see what they suggest. HTH.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
So where do you eat when you're away from home? Do you bring food with you? If so, I suppose you could buy canned potatoes, beans, peas, etc., or maybe instant mashed potatoes.
Yes, I bring food with me. I also love eating healthy so I don't want to eat canned products all the time, but occasionally it's ok.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tika View Post
I guess potato is easiest way to replace grains and rice, but try buckwheat- taste good and very healthy.
Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I would prefer avoiding grains altogether.