"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, Argamemnon. Breathing difficulties and shortness of breath are not the first symptoms that come to mind when you look at symptoms of celiac disease; if that's your problem, you're much more likely to have digestive system problems like gas, abdominal pain and distention, and constipation or diarrhea: Celiac Disease

Breathing difficulties and shortness of breath suggest to me conditions like emphysema, bronchitis, or congestive heart failure. Rather than try to diagnose and treat yourself, and perhaps allow your condition to worsen, I would see a doctor right away, describe your symptoms and see what they suggest. HTH.
Well, I have most of the other symptoms too. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't help me much when I saw him about a year ago. He did a blood test to see if I might have a thyroid problem, which wasn't the case.
__________________

__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
Well, I have most of the other symptoms too. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't help me much when I saw him about a year ago. He did a blood test to see if I might have a thyroid problem, which wasn't the case.
Can you see a different doctor? If you really think it's celiac disease, you need to see a gastroenterologist anyway.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #23
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Can you see a different doctor? If you really think it's celiac disease, you need to see a gastroenterologist anyway.
Yes, that's what I have to do, I just want to try if this works, eventually I'll go to the doctor.
__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
Yes, that's what I have to do, I just want to try if this works, eventually I'll go to the doctor.
Like I mentioned in my post earlier, it is better to get tested for celiac before you go on any type of diet because if you do cut out gluten and it helps, they will make you go back on it for at least 6 months before you can be tested and that can be really grueling. That was my husband's (and my) mistake on our diagnoses. It turned out he was celiac and I am not.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #25
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Like I mentioned in my post earlier, it is better to get tested for celiac before you go on any type of diet because if you do cut out gluten and it helps, they will make you go back on it for at least 6 months before you can be tested and that can be really grueling. That was my husband's (and my) mistake on our diagnoses. It turned out he was celiac and I am not.
Wow, six months? Thanks, I'll reconsider my decision.
__________________

__________________
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.