Amazing Sodium Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I've been watching the sodium content on everything since DH has to watch his intake for his high blood pressure. It's amazing how much is in even frozen veggies! He loves popcorn and I was looking for a low sodium microwave version for him to take to work. GOOD LUCK! There are lots of low fat but few low sodium.

Make your own. I was told years ago that you can pop raw popcorn in a microwave. It's the same (but unsalted) stuff that;s in the microwave bag.

Make your own. I was told years ago that you can pop raw popcorn in a microwave. It's the same (but unsalted) stuff that;s in the microwave bag.
That is what I do. I hate commercial microwave popcorn. I find the smell nauseating and the price outrageous. I can buy regular popcorn and brown paper bags and make my own microwave popcorn for a fraction of the price and it is healthier and tastes better.

As for the sodium in the foods from the link above, I am not surprised by that. After all, those are all fast food places. The sodium is the least of a long list of things that I would be concerned about when eating at any of those joints. That, among other reasons, is why I hardly ever have fast food, and my 4 year old daughter has to this day never had a single bite of any fast food. I know we can't keep it from her forever, but we will as long as we can. Her teachers at school were amazed that she had never had McDonalds. She is one of two kinds in her entire school who has never had it.

Not a great idea, according this information from the USDA:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When we think kitchen food safety, the following seven unsafe practices may not come to mind. They should. Do you avoid them? Please do!

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Using non-food grade materials[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just because a material looks like a suitable food container doesn't make it safe for food. Four common non-food grade items we should avoid using include the following. [/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brown paper bags for cooking
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's what the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) says about this practice:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Do not use brown paper bags from grocery or other stores for cooking. They are not sanitary, may cause a fire, and can emit toxic fumes. Intense heat may cause a bag to ignite, causing a fire in the oven... . The ink, glue, and recycled materials in paper bags can emit toxic fumes when they are exposed to heat. Instead, use purchased oven cooking bags." <www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/altroute.htm>[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USDA also advises, "These bags may not necessarily be sanitary, particularly since they may be stored under a variety of conditions." <www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/meatpack.htm>[/FONT]

Interesting info Scotch, thanks. I have never had an issue with the bags catching fire and none of them ever exhibited any signs that they were even close to that happening so for me that is not an issue. I always stand close watch over the bag anyway because you have to shut the microwave off as soon as the popping slows down, so if there ever was a fire I would be right there.

As for them being sanitary, they are bags that are used for lunches so I am not too worried. Food has been put in those since at least as long as I have been around. I do not think they would sell them for that purpose if there was a major problem doing so.

The fumes from glue is not something I had considered though. To be honest, I doubt it will keep me from doing this even if it is not the safest thing in the world, but at least if/when I get sick I will have a better understanding why ;)

Last edited:
Interesting info Scotch, thanks. I have never had an issue with the bags catching fire and none of them ever exhibited any signs that they were even close to that happening so for me that is not an issue. I always stand close watch over the bag anyway because you have to shut the microwave off as soon as the popping slows down, so if there ever was a fire I would be right there.

As for them being sanitary, they are bags that are used for lunches so I am not too worried. Food has been put in those since at least as long as I have been around. I do not think they would sell them for that purpose if there was a major problem doing so.

The fumes from glue is not something I had considered though. To be honest, I doubt it will keep me from doing this even if it is not the safest thing in the world, but at least if/when I get sick I will have a better understanding why ;)
Why not just use a covered Pyrex bowl?

To be honest, it is the lazy factor. I do not have to wash a paper bag. I do have to wash a bowl.

As for the sodium in the foods from the link above, I am not surprised by that. After all, those are all fast food places. The sodium is the least of a long list of things that I would be concerned about when eating at any of those joints. That, among other reasons, is why I hardly ever have fast food, and my 4 year old daughter has to this day never had a single bite of any fast food. I know we can't keep it from her forever, but we will as long as we can. Her teachers at school were amazed that she had never had McDonalds. She is one of two kinds in her entire school who has never had it.

To hijack the popcorn thread back. ;) I just wanted to point out that only one of the places mentioned in the article is a fast-food restaurant (Blimpies). The rest are full service restaurants. My point is that singling out fast food as more unhealthful than other restaurant foods is popular nowadays, but not necessarily accurate. AFAIK, there's no magic evil ingredient used solely in the fast food industry.

Our family's philosophy is that eating out at any restaurant is like cake. It's an occasional treat, not a dietary staple. Eating cake every day is a lot more to the point than whether you prefer chocolate cake or lemon.

You are right, I did not look close enough to see they were not all fast food places. Most of those restaurants I classify (for myself) in the same vein as fast food though. Places like Denny's are about as good for you as McDonalds in my book.

You are absolutely correct about moderation. There is nothing wrong with having fast food or even worse junk every once in a while. My family just happens to not like most fast food so we see no reason to introduce it to our kids who would most likely love it and then want it more than they should have it.

You are right, I did not look close enough to see they were not all fast food places. Most of those restaurants I classify (for myself) in the same vein as fast food though. Places like Denny's are about as good for you as McDonalds in my book.

You are absolutely correct about moderation. There is nothing wrong with having fast food or even worse junk every once in a while. My family just happens to not like most fast food so we see no reason to introduce it to our kids who would most likely love it and then want it more than they should have it.

I hate to be OT.

GB - This is the first time I read and considered your signature... seriously caused me to LOL.

Thx for the week-end funny,

Bob

Back
Top Bottom