"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Master Chef

America's 10 healthiest grocery stores.

America's 10 healthiest grocery stores (<click for original article)

By Pamela Paul

Let’s face it: Your weekly (or daily!) run to the grocery store is the foundation for your good health. So it’s thrilling news that the supermarket industry is on a health kick—these days you’ll likely find organic produce and “natural” packaged foods at almost any store you go to.
But which chains are outdoing themselves to deliver the freshest and healthiest foods to you? And which ones provide the best tools to help you make smart choices?
We asked six prominent health experts (meet our judges) to help us pick the top 10 healthiest grocery stores out of the nation’s largest chains. Here are the true standouts. Happy, healthy shopping!

<Follow the link to read the list.>

Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm surprised to see major grocery chains in there. All the junk food they stock should detract from the healthy goods they sell. But if they got rid of all the crap, half their shelves would be empty.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Interesting reading! Thanks for posting, msmofet.

Only three of the 10 are in my region. I shop occasionally at Whole Foods, TJ's and Hannaford. I haven't seen a Super Target around here and none of the others is even close.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'm surprised to see major grocery chains in there. All the junk food they stock should detract from the healthy goods they sell. But if they got rid of all the crap, half their shelves would be empty.

There's no point in reviewing other than chains. The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.

Well, they ARE in the business to make money. I think as long as they offer healthy choices to the junk food, that's all you can really expect.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There's no point in reviewing other than chains. The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.
I agree. But Safeway? I consider Kroger/Ralphs and other major national chains to be equal to Safeway. These guys should have been on the list too then. I was just surprised to see Safeway on the list. Other chains are going through similar transformations....might as well listed them as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Interesting reading! Thanks for posting, msmofet.

Only three of the 10 are in my region. I shop occasionally at Whole Foods, TJ's and Hannaford. I haven't seen a Super Target around here and none of the others is even close.
You're welcome Andy.
We have Trader Joe (I have fallen in love with their healthy products and no hassle return policy), Pathmark (In danger of closing in my area due to the A & P buy out), Target (We have many of these stores in my area not all are Super Targets but a lot are getting face lifts and converting to "Super") and Whole Foods (A bit pricey but they ordered rosehip tea for me when it wasn't on their shelf and gave me a call when it came in) in my area. I have shopped at Food Lion (thats where I first purchased Ideal sugar sub which is fantastic!!), Publix and Safeway while on vacations.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I agree. But Safeway? I consider Kroger/Ralphs and other major national chains to be equal to Safeway. These guys should have been on the list too then. I was just surprised to see Safeway on the list. Other chains are going through similar transformations....might as well listed them as well.
There are other regional chains in the Northeast which weren't listed. You don't know if they were included in the survey and rejected or just not included.

I guess no list can cover it all. It's at least good to know there are choices.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.

Well, they ARE in the business to make money.
On second thought, I think the current list is useless to the majority of the population because chances are you'll not find most of those chains listed in lower income areas.

Yes, they are in the business of making money. That's probably one reason why you don't see them in the inner cities, for instance.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd bet low budget grocery chains are more common in lower income areas. I know that's somewhat true around here.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Super Target is the only one on that list that is anywhere near us and I refuse to buy groceries there because it's usually overpriced and their produce is crap. Although I know they had a recent campaign saying that they've improved their quality. I personally don't know anyone that does their grocery shopping at Target. Here in the midwest we have Hy-Vee grocery stores and I'm very happy with them. They have a health market with lots of organic items and they have ethnic sections of the store that are great too. Their produce is good, and they have an organic produce section as well. Now sometimes some of the organic stuff is way expensive and I can get it cheaper at Wal Mart, although they are very limited in the organics they carry.