America's 10 healthiest grocery stores.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
America's 10 healthiest grocery stores (<click for original article)

By Pamela Paul

Let’s face it: Your weekly (or daily!) run to the grocery store is the foundation for your good health. So it’s thrilling news that the supermarket industry is on a health kick—these days you’ll likely find organic produce and “natural” packaged foods at almost any store you go to.
But which chains are outdoing themselves to deliver the freshest and healthiest foods to you? And which ones provide the best tools to help you make smart choices?
We asked six prominent health experts (meet our judges) to help us pick the top 10 healthiest grocery stores out of the nation’s largest chains. Here are the true standouts. Happy, healthy shopping!

<Follow the link to read the list.>
http://shine.yahoo.com/topic/food+shopping/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to see major grocery chains in there. All the junk food they stock should detract from the healthy goods they sell. But if they got rid of all the crap, half their shelves would be empty.

Interesting reading! Thanks for posting, msmofet.

Only three of the 10 are in my region. I shop occasionally at Whole Foods, TJ's and Hannaford. I haven't seen a Super Target around here and none of the others is even close.

I'm surprised to see major grocery chains in there. All the junk food they stock should detract from the healthy goods they sell. But if they got rid of all the crap, half their shelves would be empty.

There's no point in reviewing other than chains. The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.

Well, they ARE in the business to make money. I think as long as they offer healthy choices to the junk food, that's all you can really expect.

Last edited:
There's no point in reviewing other than chains. The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.

I agree. But Safeway? I consider Kroger/Ralphs and other major national chains to be equal to Safeway. These guys should have been on the list too then. I was just surprised to see Safeway on the list. Other chains are going through similar transformations....might as well listed them as well.

Interesting reading! Thanks for posting, msmofet.

Only three of the 10 are in my region. I shop occasionally at Whole Foods, TJ's and Hannaford. I haven't seen a Super Target around here and none of the others is even close.
You're welcome Andy.
We have Trader Joe (I have fallen in love with their healthy products and no hassle return policy), Pathmark (In danger of closing in my area due to the A & P buy out), Target (We have many of these stores in my area not all are Super Targets but a lot are getting face lifts and converting to "Super") and Whole Foods (A bit pricey but they ordered rosehip tea for me when it wasn't on their shelf and gave me a call when it came in) in my area. I have shopped at Food Lion (thats where I first purchased Ideal sugar sub which is fantastic!!), Publix and Safeway while on vacations.

Last edited:
I agree. But Safeway? I consider Kroger/Ralphs and other major national chains to be equal to Safeway. These guys should have been on the list too then. I was just surprised to see Safeway on the list. Other chains are going through similar transformations....might as well listed them as well.

There are other regional chains in the Northeast which weren't listed. You don't know if they were included in the survey and rejected or just not included.

I guess no list can cover it all. It's at least good to know there are choices.

The list would be useless to 99.9% of the population.

Well, they ARE in the business to make money.

On second thought, I think the current list is useless to the majority of the population because chances are you'll not find most of those chains listed in lower income areas.

Yes, they are in the business of making money. That's probably one reason why you don't see them in the inner cities, for instance.

Last edited:
I'd bet low budget grocery chains are more common in lower income areas. I know that's somewhat true around here.

Super Target is the only one on that list that is anywhere near us and I refuse to buy groceries there because it's usually overpriced and their produce is crap. Although I know they had a recent campaign saying that they've improved their quality. I personally don't know anyone that does their grocery shopping at Target. Here in the midwest we have Hy-Vee grocery stores and I'm very happy with them. They have a health market with lots of organic items and they have ethnic sections of the store that are great too. Their produce is good, and they have an organic produce section as well. Now sometimes some of the organic stuff is way expensive and I can get it cheaper at Wal Mart, although they are very limited in the organics they carry.

i shop safeway vons. they offer healthy choices and junk food. it is up to the shopper which they buy. the organic stuff is usually cheaper. healthy choice is good but still to salty. no one can force the shopper to buy stuff that is good for me. you are just whistling dixie if you think so.

i shop safeway vons.

the organic stuff is usually cheaper.

I shop at Vons/Safeway too, as well as Kroger/Ralphs. Both are about 5 minutes away. But I never buy produce there, especially organics which are ridiculously overpriced.
For produce I always shop at the local Asian market.....their prices are generally 1/2 of what super markets charge.

i don't buy a lot of fresh produce. i only shop once a month. so only buy fresh what i can eat in couple days. i buy mostly frozen and have found the organic to usually be cheaper. albertsons and henry's market here have best produce. neither are what i would call cheap.

i don't buy a lot of fresh produce. i only shop once a month. so only buy fresh what i can eat in couple days. i buy mostly frozen and have found the organic to usually be cheaper. albertsons and henry's market here have best produce. neither are what i would call cheap.

I really liked Henry's when I visited family in Orange County, Calif.

I buy most of my organic stuff at my local health food store (a 10 minute walk). I can get organic at a Canadian chain called Loblaws, but they do their own organic certification and I can't find their standards. Sounds kinda iffy to me. Yup, it's cheaper, but when I'm paying extra for organic, I want to know what that means.

Only two of the ten stores is available here, Safeway and Albertson's, I don't shop at either place. In the Pacific northwest we have Rosauers, where I do the majority of my shopping and they have a "Natural Foods" section and The Good Food Store which stocks the same items as Whole Foods and a lot of local foods. The prices are similar at both stores and their produce is the best looking in town.

I buy a lot of my not-organic produce at a small chain called Mourelatos. I have been told by staff in other stores that Mourelatos buys 2nd quality produce. It turns out that 2nd quality refers to appearance. It has nothing to do with the taste, freshness, or nutrients. Haha, I get tasty produce cheaper 'cause it isn't as uniformly pretty.

Loblaws (major chain supermarket) is right next door. I get creeped out by their 1st quality produce. Vegetables and fruit just shouldn't be that uniform.

When we are in Miami we shop at Wild Oats/Wholefoods for meat, charcuterie and cheese, Publix for bread and supermarket products. I could not understand why people bought fruit and veg at our local Publix at the bottom of Kendal Drive, if you drove for 10 mins more Krone ave was full of farm shops selling fantastic fruit and veg a lot cheaper. There was also a couple of pick your own farms that were cheaper still:)

Back
Top Bottom