"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Head Chef

No Alzheimer's in Greece? Where did you hear that? I'd like to see your documents that support that claim.
Right now, in another browser window, I have been reading a report on attitudes concerning Alzheimer's... in Greece. also reading about the Greek Alzheimer's Association, and care of those with Alzheimer's in Greece...
One needs to be careful with what information one wants to toss about on a forum.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Flour Child

Here's the link where I read about the Alzeimers:

Dr Oz 5 Superfoods To Eat Now In 2010

4. Greek Greens – Mustard Greens - “The Blue Zone” In Icaria, Greece, 1 in 3 people lives to the age of 90. There are no reported cases of Alzheimer’s disease in Icaria, Greece. Mustard greens are high in vitamin K (most Americans are deficient in this nutrient), the spicy greens are good for your blood and bone strength. The Icarians boil mustard greens and then toss with a little virgin olive oil and lemon.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

How can you tell if anti-aging foods are working?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

O.K., a tiny island. Hardly the whole of Greece.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Cupcake

Icaria, Greece

The population is close to 10,000. A small island surrounded by other islands in the same climate with similar genetic subjects. I think that sounds like a recipe for a decent clinical study that should cause some to sit up and take notice. Heck, I've seen very shady scientific studies with much less data have substantial press and governments standing up and saluting them. I would be very interested in seeing what makes this island different than the others.

Thanks for sharing it, MollyAnne!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Head Chef

fine. but still, not "Greece." An isolated part of Greece, yes. An interesting study, yes.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
Cupcake

Icaria, Greece

Definitely interesting. I think we should take this thread a step further and go on Blue Zone field trips. MollyAnne and I will go to Icaria, soak up the local flavor. I could deal with a plate of greens after the first plate of legumes while sipping a glass of wine on the beach and being fanned by Alexandros the cabana boy. All in the name of science...of course.

MollyAnne, bring the dark chocolate for our post Greek island water swim. Chocolate with a bit of sea salt is yummy!

Where will the rest of you go for your anti-aging field trip that includes awesome anti-aging food?

~Kathleen
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
Flour Child

...maybe CabanaBoy can give us an olive oil massage while we're on this Greek Isle...there's more than one way to get that anti-aging olive oil in our system . I'm packing extra for us since we're going to live to be centenarians there!
Attached Images

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine2030 View Post
Should we take vitamin every day? I take GNC women's ultra mega every day now, is this really help??? I'm 35, I would like to know what are the best Antioxidant Foods?
I went to a dietitian who recommended most of the foods you mentioned as being antioxidant and healthy. For fish, she said that tuna was another good source. She cautioned me to be sure to take in some protein when I had carbs (for my diabetes) and to eat whole fruits and what have you to increase the fiber in my system.

Most studies and journals that I've seen, including the Journal of American Medical Association, recommend taking a good multi-vitamin to help prevent cancer, osteoporosis, and heart disease. Some will also recommend that younger women (of child-bearing age) consider adding foliate and persons over 50 adding B12 and Vitamin D.

There was a study out of the University of Pittsburgh a few years back that claimed a correlation between lower blood levels of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and people's tendency to behave impulsively, to have a more negative outlook, and to have symptoms of depression.

And then there is the more recent study that says eggs are not so bad for us and are even quite beneficial....but this one is still controversial. (I love eggs, so I'm going to throw my towel in the "eggs are actually good for us" camp and I have medical studies that show it is true! )

I think you are likely doing what you should do to take care of yourself. Eating a variety of healthy foods, exercising, etc. Studies also show that people with close connections and happy relationships live longer and are more healthy.

The best advice my dietitian gave me was to limit the amount of processed foods and meats that I ate and to eat something of each of the color wheel regarding fruits and veggies each day. (Purple/Blue, Red/Orange, Orange/Yellow, Green, and White/Brown.) It gets in the recommended five servings of fruits/veggies a day and I will say that I feel I have more energy for it. I do believe that forcing myself to get in all five colors of fruits/veggies has helped me feel more full, etc. too.

Today for lunch, I had leftovers from last night's dinner: a piece of sauted chicken with some Barilla thin spaghetti with fiber tossed with cherry tomatoes, garlic, onions and fresh basil. I used olive oil to cook it. The chicken had a squeeze of lemon on it. It had about 1/2 cup of cherry tomato halves and I had a cup of blueberries. To me, I counted it as a serving of red and two of purple/blue. Now I know I need to add something yellow, green and brown at some point in the day. For a snack, a banana and walnuts is pretty yummy. :) As for things to make me happy, I'm going to pretend that MollyAnne and my field trip to the Greek island is happening today while I eat a few olives.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I wanted to give my two cents. I'm no expert but have been forced to keep up with health news. Plus, a lot of it is simply interesting to me.

~Kathleen
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Greatest thread ever.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote