Anti-Aging Nutrition Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This really is turning into an outstanding trip...er....science experiment. MollyAnne's bikini top got us quickly through the long lines at the most popular Taverna's in the Greek Blue Zone. We had a few skeptical looks from the locals until it was evident that we were no typical tourists, but scientists there to enjoy what all their country had to offer which included great food, fabulous drink, and our own Greek God Alexandros.

Mimi kicked off the night by ordering something from the menu: Fabulous seafood, which we washed down with 4MeAndThem's ouzo. Mimi's poetry went from very fine to down-right mesmerizing after the first bottle of ouzo. Alexandros pointed out that the ouzo was excellent - much like the bikini top on MollyAnne. The waitress followed with Andy M's suggestion of grilled fish, souvlaki, shish kebabs, etc. And that was when it happened: Goodweed said, "I've got to be doing something."

Next thing we knew, tables were being pulled apart and there was an empty spot in the center of the floor for dancing. BuckyTom was struggling to rid himself of the inflatable ducky. (It seems it had a valve to let air in but not back out, so Goodweed had to kick off the dancing.) I will say that Goodweed's Zembeikiko was inspiring. By the time his dance was done, there were no plates left unbroken. Flowers were tossed to those of us who followed. Our DC guys did a fine job impressing the locals with their dance prowess. MollyAnne's bikini fish looked a bit shaken, not stirred, after she took her turn at trying the Tsifteteli.

Working Hypothesis: The Greek Blue Zone has so many healthy people living for a long time because of the fabulous food, which is also healthy; the exercise, which brings much laughter; and the pampering, which we appreciate from Alexandros. Conclusion: More experimentation is required, but the preliminaries are favorable.

We do wonder how it is going in the other Blue Zones.

Psssst. KathleenA, I won't tell anybody that you taught me how to dance the Zembeikiko just the night before. You're a great teacher.:LOL: Oh, and my DW was so impressed that she helped me make a batch of dolmas for tonights apetizers. We danced in our private shack last night after everyone split off. She wants to know if Alexandros knows how to make authentic gyros, and if there are any oyster beds we can snorkle to. Seems she wants a make pearl necklace.

Myself, I'm looking forward to some good seafood with a ripe olives and plain bruschetta. Are there any plans for making a trip to an olive grove, so we can scientifically taste test the first pressed oil, maybe on fire toasted bread? Hmmmm?

And Bucky, what ahve you got planned for tonight?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Psssst. KathleenA, I won't tell anybody that you taught me how to dance the Zembeikiko just the night before. You're a great teacher.:LOL: Oh, and my DW was so impressed that she helped me make a batch of dolmas for tonights apetizers. We danced in our private shack last night after everyone split off. She wants to know if Alexandros knows how to make authentic gyros, and if there are any oyster beds we can snorkle to. Seems she wants a make pearl necklace.

Myself, I'm looking forward to some good seafood with a ripe olives and plain bruschetta. Are there any plans for making a trip to an olive grove, so we can scientifically taste test the first pressed oil, maybe on fire toasted bread? Hmmmm?

And Bucky, what ahve you got planned for tonight?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Well, Bucky better hurry because we've got Pirates on our trail!! I didn't know this island still had Pirates! I hear they're hiding out in the stone castle in Nikaria. And where did Alexandros disappear to? He wouldn't be one of "them" would he? :cool: And our tourist guide? And what happened to the necklaces Goodweed's DW made for all of us from the oyster beds??? Who's guarding the booty? :ermm:

Goodweed, run down and secure a sailboat for us in Na Bay while we round up everyone. It's time to head for Sardinia, Italy...the next blue Zone! I'll pack up the case of Icaria's local dark wine and kavoura (Icarian's traditional cheese) I bought while shopping in Cristos Raches. If we get a little tipsy while sailing then Bucky can always jump in with his inflatable ducky to save us :LOL:. Robert, grab your music things for entertainment because we'll need some distraction from our fear of maneuvering the fickle winds of the Mediterranean!

Kathleen, grab all your scientific data...you DID take notes didn't you? ;)

...And where did Alexandros disappear to? He wouldn't be one of "them" would he? :cool:
...Kathleen, grab all your scientific data
...you DID take notes didn't you? ;)
oh no, mimiz just said she saw kathleen heading off into the hills with Alexandros in search of Icaria's "Holy Grail"....a magical Ikarian honey called "Ricky" honey (sp?) that might hold the secret to longevity. You can't find it anywhere else...extra extra thick. Yes, we MUST take some with us for further research.

Speaking of "further research"...You know how kathleen is about her scientific research...she might be gone for awhile with Alexandros :ermm:

We won't set sail to the next Blue Zone of Sardinia in Italy without you, kathleen, but hurry and be safe...pirates lurk! (and can you please quickly pick me a bouquet of those pretty yellow hillside daisies from the beekeepers field? I love wildflowers)

YouTube - Blue Zones Ikaria Quest - Day Two Video Honey

Last edited:
She wants to know if Alexandros knows how to make authentic gyros, and if there are any oyster beds we can snorkle to.

Here you are, my hunnies. Authentic Gyros. I'll bring the wine - Samos is sweet, white and lush, but Anthemis has class. Ouzo is on the side, but leave the Retisina, as it's an evil brew. :)

Gyros (for two)
cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
pounds ground lamb (as lean as you can find it)
cup seeded and pared cucumber, diced
cup shredded lettuce
1 diced tomato
2 tablespoon lemon juice
teaspoon each, of dried oregano and ground cumin
cup low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
2 pita breads

COMBINE FOR SAUCE TOPPINGS

Cook the meat in the onion and garlic. Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and add onion and garlic. Cook until soft over low heat, stirring constantly.

Combine in mixing bowl with lamb, lemon juice, oregano and cumin; mix thoroughly and shape into 2 patties.

Broil patties on a rack 3 to 5 minutes each side, turning once, until desired doneness.

Serve in pita bread with half of the lettuce and tomato and half of the sauce on each serving.

Gyro
6 servings

1 pound ground pork
1 pounds ground lamb. If there's no special lamb, try lamb shoulder of which the flavour is just great!
1 teaspoon salt
Some freshly ground black pepper
About 6 cloves of crushed garlic
Squeeze out the juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoon Ouzo

Mix and mould the meat on a metal skewer. Grill. Serve on pita bread, garnish with tzatziki, chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, some parsley, a sprinkling of oregano.

LAMB Gyros
6 servings

2 pounds lean lamb, ground
2 slices bread; toasted, crushed
1 teaspoon allspice; pounded
1 teaspoon coriander seed; crushed
1 garlic clove; crushed
1 onion; grated
1 teaspoon chopped fresh savoury
Salt & freshly ground pepper
3 slices bacon
6 pita bread pockets
2 tomatoes; sliced thin
Vinegar & oil to taste
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup plain yogurt

In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb with the bread, allspice, coriander, garlic, onion, savoury, and salt and pepper, and knead thoroughly. The mixture should be spicy, though not too herby, and hold its shape.

Break into 5 sections, each as large as a navel orange, then break each section into 6 balls.

Knead and flatten slightly to a thickness of about 3/4". Cut the bacon slices into widths equal to these balls, keeping the slices of bacon between them.

Slip a cane skewer through the centres and roll gently with the palms to smooth the edges. (There will be 5 or 6 skewers, depending on their length.)

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to cook, set on a broiler tray or grill and cook under moderate heat, turning every 5 minutes. (The bacon will baste the meat.)

The surface will be crusty and the inside cooked within 25 minutes.

To serve:
Put out the bread, meat, tomatoes seasoned with the vinegar and oil, parsley and yogurt in separate dishes. Guests may open pocket bread and stuff them with meat and seasonings.

Tzatziki sauce for gyros
For 1

2 small cucumbers
Salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
White pepper
3 garlic cloves; or more
cup mint leaves; fresh*

*Use fresh mint leaves, shredded, 2 tablespoons dried mint, crushed or 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley.

Use more or less garlic, minced, to your preference. Peel, seed and dice cucumbers. Sprinkle with salt and set aside to drain.

Combine yogurt, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, pepper and garlic in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.

Just before serving, beat yogurt sauce with wooden spoon until smooth. Have fresh mint torn into small pieces.

Dry cucumber by gently squeezing between paper towels. Combine cucumbers with mint leaves and yogurt mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Back
Top Bottom