"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Master Chef

Keep an eye on that, my friend. Mine got so critically low (4.5) that I was about to die from that alone.

I have read that spinach actually robs your body of iron...why don't you ask your doctor?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Hi Constance, I sympathize with you. My iron got down to 2. In a normal adult that number should be 12. They told me it was non existent in my body and they were not sure how I moved about, drove and did my normal chores. I was summoned to bed rest for a week and had to take 350 mg of iron supplements - 3 a day. I have built my reserve up but still it fluctuates tremendously.

You definitely have to watch it. You can eat iron rich foods but depending on the condition food alone by no means is enough in some cases as you said it so correctly.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
I have been anemic for a long time. My iron count was shockingly low at one point and the doctors were not sure how I functioned with almost non existent iron.

Depending on how Anemic you are the iron rich foods will help but you will need supplements period and as someone indicated you need vitamin C to ensure it absorbs and stays. I also heard from my doctor friend that iron alone will not help but I also have to take folic acid with it.

In any case, the foods that are obvious are red meat including salmon and the big one liver. I personally dislike red meat and also dislike liver so my only choice is salmon along with leafy greens and they are by no means enough to build my iron reserves so I keep resorting back to supplements.

Also the iron supplements make me very sick but sigh there is no choice in my case.

All the best
Thanks for all of this! My problem has been that I do eat a lot of red meat and yet I was having this problem so they put me on the supplements, I went back for a check up and my iron levels had actually gotten worse! So they have upped my does i hate them too - they make me feel a bit off some days and ok the next! I can never tell!

I am going to try the Vit C thing which I started with this am and see how that works, I will look into this folic acid thiong too! Thanks for all of this
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Keep an eye on that, my friend. Mine got so critically low (4.5) that I was about to die from that alone.

I have read that spinach actually robs your body of iron...why don't you ask your doctor?
The amazing thing is they never told me what it was just that it was low! On my next chgeck up in three weeks I will ask them and see :)

Im sorry to hear that you got that bad though! I didn't even know that this was a possibility

My doctor advised red meat and green veg! Very exciting isn't it? I have been trying slowly but surely! Thank you for all your advice
Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
Master Chef

I know I'm repeating what some have said already, but go for color. Darker greens, darker colored meat usually have more iron (this is a generality, not the bible). But One thing I don't see mentioned (and I may have missed it) is that sometimes, for some people (I hate disclaimers, but need to), when you increase iron in your diet (and I've had this problem with vitamins geared to women that have extra iron in them), constipation is a side effect. So make sure to add plenty of cruciferous veggies and whole grain starches when you add the iron-rich foods.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Beans and lentils are a decent source of iron and they've got plenty of fiber too, so they could provide a double whammy =)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Haha Thanks Guys so far so good for me and am already feeling better! More energetic! Not 100% but Id say 80% which is fab!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I think spinaches and cabbage are very good for iron deficiency!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #19
Senior Cook

refried beans and seafoods

i suggest you eat beans as well as seafood such as clams and oysters....also liver is a good source of iron but not many people like to eat liver

frijoles refritos
Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
i suggest you eat beans as well as seafood such as clams and oysters....also liver is a good source of iron but not many people like to eat liver

frijoles refritos

Believe it or not I love liver if it is cooked right I will eat it lol!