"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I'm allergic to food that doesn't taste very good.
Me toooo!!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I'm not allergic to any foods, but I am allergice to, don't laugh, cold temperatures. So sometimes when I eat something really cold, like ice cream, my lips, tongue and mouth will swell. Anything that touches something cold, swells. Not such a good thing living in the Chicago area!
My son had this problem when we lived in Ely MN (talk about cold). The doc called it "cold urticaria", told him to take benadryl, and also told us to watch him for other symptoms of auto immune disease.

Food allergies for me--I haven't had one for a long long time, but McDonalds milk shakes used to make me cough. No other milk shakes, just McD's.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Allergic to beef but not smoked meat which is made from corned beef. It must be how it is prepared that the ingredient(s) I am allergic to is removed.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Master Chef

Very allergic to melons -- can't eat even a small amount;

Somewhat allergic to mango, papaya, pineapple and other tropical fruit -- I eat them in small amounts anyway.

Eggplant makes my tongue swell up -- I hate it so it's not a problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Allergies...

Two weeks ago I went for testing, first time in over 20 years... I knew about the environmental ones, as well as the pollen ones... and the mold ones...

I also knew about the hazelnut/filbert allergy and the corn and tomato allergy. I had had reactions to those several times in my life.

I was also tested for the most common allergies and several came up: mainly the corn one which was very high, then a milder allergy to egg yolk, whole cow's milk, flaxseed and cottonseed.

The allergist had me come back for further food testing, I was there 3 days ago. I am now instructed to stay completely away for one entire year to start with, from the entire corn family, from hazelnuts/filberts, and the entire nightshades family, which is called the Potato family and includes potato, vodka, tomato, eggplant, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili, capsicum, bell pepper... Oh and also the entire Mustard family, which includes mustard, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, rutabaga, brussel sprouts, turnip, kale, radish, horseradish, watercress, and CANOLA OIL - this last one was quite a surprise until I started reading up about it...

Some of those were not really surprises for me but others were...

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I used to have an allergic reaction to shrimp... but now it's gone.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by haminiham
I used to have an allergic reaction to shrimp... but now it's gone.
Interesting, do you happen to live near the sea and recall getting a bad dose of Sandfly [midgie] bites? This can cause what you describe, their toxin seems to effect that part of your immune system but leaves your body in time. To kick start it again is to get a few bites at a time and eat one or two shrimp at a time. Give it twelve months first before starting.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

I am allergic to peach peelings, I can eat the peachs without touch the peeling (thanks to my hubby).

I am allergic to nuts too.

Best regards.

Susan
Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #29
Master Chef

Good Grief, MM. Yes, I have known people allergic to cold temps. Also knows folks allergic to -- yes, sunshine. Ironically, the people allergic to sunshine lived in California or Florida or Hawaii, and the person I know who is allergic to cold lives here. Luckily I'm not allergic to anything food-wise (allergic to some detergents and other skin allergies). BUT I thought this was a story you would like. An acquaintance of mine worked for Jenny Craig many years ago. She had a client who had a child who was allergic to almost any food you can imagine. The poor child could only eat a very few items. His doctor told her that it was strange, that it was a malady that they found sometimes in incestuous families in very small, remote communities. The woman was infuriated. Went home and told her mother about it, very angry. Her mother looked guilty and said something to the effect of, "I'm sorry you didn't know about grandma and grandpa..." She had no idea, but in fact, her family had intermarried. this isn't about normal allergies, but extreme cases like that woman's, which is sad, because if you don't catch it early, the child can get sick and die. I get very angry at people, who, over the years, tell me they are allergic to something because they don't like it. I've never forced anyone to eat anything in my life, but I also don't like being bated. I make a good, healthy, meal. You don't want to eat it, don't. If you are truly allergic (and believe me, I've dealt with anaphylactic shock, not from my cooking but from bee stings), tell me. If you just don't like something and I'm making a big meal, well, heck, keep your mouth shut and don't eat it.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Thanks for your sympathy Claire. I have learned to live with my cold allergy. Before I knew I had it I was rushed to the ER because I was going into shock, lots of shots later I was fine - lots of hives, swelling and unconsciousness. I know about it and manage it much better, though. Sometimes I can take a benadryl before an outside activity (shoveling snow for my dad who had a heart attack) and be ok. Funny how our bodies work. My daughter developed an allergy to some foods - peanuts, potatoes, etc. All of a sudden, she started not liking mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, any kind of potato or peanut stuff, pb&j, etc. We later found she had a slight allergy to them. The allergist said that sometimes that is the body's way of protecting itself - here I thought she was just being picky, shame on me! I agree with you, I know people who say they are allergic to things they don't like. Shame on them - if they knew the inconveniences that come with allergies (of all sorts), they should be thankful they are not allergic and just say no thank you!