"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
As Chefjune pointed out, there are quite a few options for cheeseless pizzas found here in Italy.
My favourite is a mixture of shredded onion and pepper seasoned with caper and garlic.
Another is thinly sliced potatoes with rosemary and garlic.
Another popular public choice is marinara, which is simply with tomatoes and herbs, and optional anchovy filets.
All needs to be accompanied by a drizzle of good olive oil, but generally comes out much lighter than cheese topping.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleycampbell View Post
I love pizza but its just packed with calories! Any ideas on a way to make it healthier??
Any way to make a low fat(and I mean loooow fat :) ) pizza?
Pizza, by nature (bread, cheese and misc. toppings) is not low fat. If you want something "healthy and loooow fat" then don't eat pizza! But if you do eat a regular pizza, add a glass of wine.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Pizza, by nature (bread, cheese and misc. toppings) is not low fat. If you want something "healthy and loooow fat" then don't eat pizza! But if you do eat a regular pizza, add a glass of wine.
Selkie, only in US is cheese "required" on pizza. All over Italy (and also in the south of France), there are many pizza choices with no cheese whatsoever. So it is VERY possible to make a low fat pizza. And they are quite delicious.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Selkie, only in US is cheese "required" on pizza. All over Italy (and also in the south of France), there are many pizza choices with no cheese whatsoever. So it is VERY possible to make a low fat pizza. And they are quite delicious.
I had mentioned that in an earlier post, but the more I've thought about it and read about the history of pizza, both in Europe and America, there are two components that have always been present, bread and cheese. In my opinion, If it lacks cheese, it's NOT a pizza... it's bread with some sort of topping, much like a quesadia, but it's NOT pizza.

It's like someone saying, "I want to go swimming but I don't want to get wet." Yes, there are ways of doing it: wearing a dry diving suit or lathering yourself with petroleum jelly, but absurdities aside, and returning to the topic, not every dish can be contorted into "healthy and low fat."

Changing a classic into something that doesn't resemble what it was originally intended to be, to me, is just wrong. There ARE absolutes in the world. A cabbage leaf with a slice of tomato and two pieces of papaya is NOT a pizza, no matter how many culinary awards a person has won!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

Another thing to consider is the type of cheese you use. Besides all the new "low-fat" cheeses available, I've also made wonderful pizzas using low-fat ricotta - both authentic & delicious. In fact, a thin layer of ricotta is my cheese of choice when I make my infamous "Long Island Pizza" - aka "clam & garlic".
Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Another thing to consider is the type of cheese you use. Besides all the new "low-fat" cheeses available, I've also made wonderful pizzas using low-fat ricotta - both authentic & delicious. In fact, a thin layer of ricotta is my cheese of choice when I make my infamous "Long Island Pizza" - aka "clam & garlic".
Oooo... that sounds good!!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

Alternate low fat, high flavor toppings:
1 Pesto
2 Capiocola
3 Ham
4 Pescuito
5 Marinated chicken, turkey, pork, or beef strips
6 fresh or sun-dried tomato slices
7 mushrooms
8 onions
9 Very sharp cheddar, or a well ripened Parmesano Regiano or an aged Romano, or Asiago cheese (you can use just a sprinkling because of the intense flavors)
10 Pineapple
11 capers
12 home-made tomato based pizza sauce (typically, tomato, oregano, onion, garlic, touch of sugar)
13 Low fat cottage cheese (drained)

Hope this list helps a little in your quest for a great pizza with fewer callories. And yes, use whole grain bread, and a touch of extra-virgin olive oil.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

hey I love what you are talking about..can anyone of you has a recipe to make pizza at home????I just wanted to have a recipe that you can share and maybe i can make a twist with it for me to create my own version....Thanks!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
Head Chef

Recipe?
dough
sauce
topping
low fat pizza recipe - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
4 Pescuito
Goodweed, what's that? a cross between pesto and prosciutto?

Tags
diet, pizza