"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Clienta, do you prefer limes or lemons? I was so burned out on lemons in the beginning then switched to limes, sooo much better! I just finished an 8 day cleanse about a month ago. Perfect time for a little spring cleaning!

Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think it's either healthy or necessary, and neither does my gastroenterologist.
i agree with u and your gastroenterologist. certanly not good for diabetics of which i am one.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
Master Chef
I think it is good to fast from certain foods, maybe it is sugar, or maybe flour, or red meat. I should do it more often, but I am sooooo weak when it comes to food! I guess that is why we need to fast from time to time to show our body who is in charge! I think at the moment, my tummy is leading me.... he he he!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I fast every year for Yom Kippor. I do not enjoy it one bit.
I tried once or twice as a kid, but felt weak and dizzy - almost to the point of fainting. So... my mother wouldn't allow the fast. She said "Hungry People Eat!!!" I still feel weak if I miss a few meals. Fasting is not for me.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Master Chef
I do not have any problem with fasting. There is one fast a year that I hate, not because of when it is or how long it is, but becaue of what it stands for, it is a day of mourning and I do not like it. Otherwise there are few fasts during the year, some are for a day only some for 24 hours, I have no problem to fast. No water either. It is all in your head.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
Senior Cook
I've fasted already. The longest was for 2 1/2 days. It was actually fine, but I wouldn't do it for fun... it wasn't fun. I imagined I was a little extra tired. I had only water. I felt slimmer afterward. Sometime I want to do a 10-day lemon-water cleanse, but so far, my husband has talked me out of it.
KitchenScrapbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #17
I've fasted a few times, on water alone. to help alleviate asthma and just for overall health. It's a good thing to give your body a rest every now and then. I've done 14 days.
Mac-n-Cheese! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Hmm... I've been wanting to try the Master Cleanse for some time, but have always been a bit afraid of it-- I've never fasted before. But it sounds like the effects are wonderful.

For those of you who've tried it... is this something that most people shouldn't do (that is , only those with a great amount of self control) or is it worth trying for regular love-to-eaters like me?
Dinner Party Planning and Holiday Recipes
karenlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Only under doctor's orders prior to a "procedure."
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Senior Cook
I think it is good to clean out the system every so often. But, to give your body a "rest"?? And this rest is starving your body of needed nutrition. No doubt, its helped some. But, you are STARVING yourself. I don't think someone should do this if for weightloss.. You aren't going to lose weight that way and if you do, it'll come right back. If its for health problems..ask the Dr what he or she thinks about it. Take all the safety precautions..
I think its one thing to take colon cleansers but continue eating its a whole other ball game to not eat anything for weeks at a time. It is not good for the body!
The body needs certain nutrients each day to function normally. Fasting (not Ramadaan) is taking away needed nutrients. Such as Calcium, Vit A, B, C, D, E., potassium, sodium. These are things the body needs each day. Also, proteins, carbs, and fats. The body needs those. Many peopl who do these cleanses lose a lot of muscle mass. The reason is that the body needs to get its energy somewhere.
Here's the breakdown:
You intake food (proteins, carbs, fats)
You digest them
The excess calories go to different areas of the body.
Example: carbs, a certain amount is stored in the liver. The rest is stored in the muscles.
So, IF you stop eating this happens: The liver gives off its carbs (not much at all)..
Then The muscles start giving off carbs. Your muscles breakdown. They use carbs for fuel.
Now... some diets cut out carbs. But the carbs are replaced with proteins and good fats.. that is a good thing.
But, fasting and not replacing those carbs is NOT!
In the short term the person may feel better. However, in the long term, it detriments the body.

Richard Dawkins - "By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote