Anybody tried fasting before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tdiprincess - I agree with the first bit of what you've written. Fasting for weight loss purposes can be dangerous, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Many people make the mistake of breaking a fast by indulging in whatever it is they've been craving during their food-free days. That will only lead to added stress on the body's digestive system as well as rapid weight gain. Anyone who chooses to fast should understand proper refeeding methods, like starting slowly with broth or soup, then adding fruits and veggies, and slowly working back up to "normal" meals. Diving straight into back into one's pre-fast eating habits will do the body more harm than good.

Hmm... I've been wanting to try the Master Cleanse for some time, but have always been a bit afraid of it-- I've never fasted before. But it sounds like the effects are wonderful.

For those of you who've tried it... is this something that most people shouldn't do (that is , only those with a great amount of self control) or is it worth trying for regular love-to-eaters like me?

I haven't done the Master Cleanse, but I've heard that many people can't stand it. I'd be interested to know how others have fared with it because I've been considering it for a while.

I think it is good to clean out the system every so often. But, to give your body a "rest"?? And this rest is starving your body of needed nutrition. No doubt, its helped some. But, you are STARVING yourself. I don't think someone should do this if for weightloss.. You aren't going to lose weight that way and if you do, it'll come right back. If its for health problems..ask the Dr what he or she thinks about it. Take all the safety precautions..
I think its one thing to take colon cleansers but continue eating its a whole other ball game to not eat anything for weeks at a time. It is not good for the body!

If a person is healthy, there is no need to "clean" the colon. It cleans itself just fine. You're right about the "rest," though. The body needs nutrients every day.

For a couple of years I used to do fasts because of religious reasons ... 3-days every couple of weeks, 7-days every 2-3 months ... did 34-days once (was trying for 40-days but collapsed at work - it's lucky I worked in a hospital) - and these were fasts with water only.

I wound up having to take thyroid for about 10 years, and having problems with episodes of hypoglycemia for over 30 years (still get episodes from time to time)! Problems I never had before.

If you do decide to do a fast - do it under competent medical supervision - and, as has been mentioned ... how you break the fast is as important as anything else you do during the fast.

Unless you have a proven (as in a doctor says you need to) medical reason to need to screw up your body's metabolism through fasting - I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom